Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is the normal connection for a gas appliance with a flexible hose?

Options
eclecticmn
eclecticmn Member Posts: 121

Flexible hose has one compression end and one threaded end. My gas supply has a threaded connection. Do all gas appliances have pipe threads to accept compression adapters? h

I had to disconnect my gas dryer in a hurry to hook up a 30K BTU ventless gas heater in a heating emergency. Now I have to reconnect the dryer and would like to make a mini manifold.

Do flexible hose connections to supply have to be vertical?

Home owner near Minneapolis with cast iron radiators, one non working slant fin now ripped out, and hot water heat.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options

yes all gas appliances have npt connections

the flex does not have to be verticle but flex connectors can only be used at the appliance to connect it to the gas supply

do not use any compression fittings proper flex connectors use flare connections

You gas supply will have to be large enough to run both appliances. You need gas shut offs near all appliances within close proximity

If your not familair with gas work you should call a licensed plumber or gas fitter. This is required in some locations. Homeowners doing gas if allowed in you area will likely require a permit and maybe pressure testing or at least soap buble testing. Gas can be very dangerous if not done properly use caution

Mad Dog_2
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2023
    Options

By threaded hose, you mean CSST yellow metal connector? A CSST connector has two flared ends that fasten to the flared connector on the appliance and one flared connector on the gas valve. Yes, you can do that but you need a separate gas valve for the heater. It can be done like it is done for a barbecue with a plug-in gas connector. Still need the extra gas valve before the plug-in. The connection can be in any direction, but horizontal is preferable.

• eclecticmn
    eclecticmn Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2023
    Options

I connected the yellow flexible hose to the dryer, recently removed it, and connected hose attached to the ventless heater. Now I will go back. I did the previous two OK after soap buble tests and explosive gas monitor. I was leaving the piping alone but thought fa making a mini-manifold past the local gas ball valve. I examined theflexible hose in the bag I had. It has two flared ends (I mistakenly called them compression fittings). This hose is for range and furnace. There are two male to male flare to male pipe thread adapters with one 1/2 I would guess and the other around 5/8 I guess. Not using this one, I have two in service right now.

I looked at my oven. There is a male pipe thread to flare adapter at supply and oven with flare sticking out to receive the female flex hose fitting.

Home owner near Minneapolis with cast iron radiators, one non working slant fin now ripped out, and hot water heat.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options

You can use CSST to pipe gas but cannot use it in place of a approved appliance connecttor for hooking up an appliance

Mad Dog_2