Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vitodens 200 Aging

Brad Barbeau
Brad Barbeau Member Posts: 52

Probably a strange question but wondering what folks think about the life expectancy of the original Vitodens 200, the WB2A. Long story but I have one that I put in a workshop at my last house. Before we sell that house, I'm wondering if it's worth keeping and reusing. It was working okay, second hand when I got it, but is the 11-44 model which would be perfect for my new house.

Is using something this old a silly idea? How long do these original Vitodens last without major failures?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,702

It might depend on how well it was cared for

Cleaned and adjusted ocassionaly?

Running good quality water?

Long run cycles?

How old is it?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Brad Barbeau

Thanks Bob,

I believe it was maintained by the previous owner and since I've had it, I've kept it up too.

I wouldn't state my life on the water quality necessarily, it's a little hard but the system was flushed before being connected (and was new) and also has the LLH so dirt was separating theoretically.

I think it was connected to a radiant and hydro air system at the first install but I don't know about cycle length there. It was oversized for my shop but I did make and effort to give it long cycles every couple of days actually.

I'll check on the date tomorrow when I go over, I think 15 years, could less.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354

Can't hurt to try....Its paid for...if it fails in short order, so be it, but u could get a few more years put of it..MaDog

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661

15-20 years is normal life expectancy, if the boiler was cleaned properly and water quality was OK. Expect the blower fan, ignitor rods and potential heat exchanger problems down the road if you reuse it.

Derheatmeister
  • Brad Barbeau
    edited March 2023

Thanks, it's coming up to that age, I ran out of time when I was over there today to check. I know the fan was replaced by the previous owner. The rest, total guess. Electronics could be suspect too I suppose.

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573

Great boiler…The heatexcharger is build like a tank. The only issue is that the parts are stating it get very pricey…As we cannot discuss pricing i would check on the LGM 29. and radial fan.

GGross
  • Brad Barbeau

Thanks Derheatmestier. I just checked the LGM 29 and ouch! Appreciate that heads up.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354

Prices..I spent $350 bucks last Sunday

on A 36" X 3" galvanized pipe and two 3 inch black flanges....for my John Deere Mailbox!! It was a Sundee & only place open is A 24/7 365 house called Kevin Richards in Brooklyn...I HAD to get it done and I KNOW the charge a premium but still...prices are up on EVERYTHING...EXPONENTIALLY! WE JUST piped a Steamex 500 $4600 bucks for all near boiler piping...thats sick! Mad