Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flange adapter needed

zepfan Member Posts: 398

What type of adapter would I use to fit a toilet flange to the existing pipe that comes through the floor? It appears that someone cut an adapter in two and fit it around the outside. If you place the one that is pictured in the top of the photo that is one piece over the pipe coming up through the floor the toilet would sit about 1.5" above the finished floor. I don't know if there is a better option. I am mostly HVAC, but have set numerous toilets before, but don't recall seeing this type of flange. Thanks to all


  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,006

    Hey there @zepfan

    Go to your nearest supply house or hardware store and pick up a replacement ring.

    There are some nice stainless steal and brass replacement rings available.

    You can install the new ring directly over or, around the current piping. (I have done hundreds over the years this way with great success.)

    You can also get a two piece ring that will fit similarly as shown in your picture.

    Im not a big fan of the plastic ring that is shown. They worry me as to how strong they are.

    Use a deep seal wax gasket when setting the toilet.

  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,260

    looks like 1/2 of the bolt holding ring is missing? If you have it, reinstall it.

    A deep wax, no seep wax ring would be my choice, or add a spacer above the flange you have.

    Ideally the closet flange would be on top of the tile surface instead of flush. Too late for that.

    It would be a job to replace the entire closet flange and get the tile replaced.

    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream