Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain CGI

Options
AndrewHern
AndrewHern Member Posts: 8

hi everyone. I was looking into replacing my old cast iron boiler with a new one. I wanted to move the boiler and water heater to a different location in our basement. Therefore, we are going to be about 12 feet from our chimney or sidewall venting. That is why I was looking into the Weil McLain cgi boilers because their venting options are a bit more flexible. Any opinions on the cgi models? Any experience dealing with them? Are they loud? 
I have also heard of the Weil McLain gv90+ series, but not sure about those. Any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you guys. 
also, should I use my new chosen boiler with an indirect water heater?

Andrew

Comments

• Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options

I installed my parents CGI in the apt house they own 18 years ago. It has needed one fan… That silly boiler just does work. I am also a fan of GV90+ boilers and the CG series. You need to decide on efficiency over repair bills and longevity if you are considering wall hung options. Thats my opinion.

Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    AndrewHernknotgrumpy
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options

The CGi is a good boiler IMO. I'd go with it over the GV90+. Of the dozen or so GV's I've seen, none are piped correctly because nobody knows how to open a manual.