Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combustion Port Hole on New Lochinvar

I just had my mechanical room completely rebuilt and have a brand new KHB 199N with a side arm DHW. Should the installer have designed the flue piping with a combustion port hole for combustion testing during service, or does the KHB have a built in tester? I've seen pictures online of PVC piping with a built in port hole and am curious if they should have included this with the build.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Do you have the installation manual? It should show any test port or tell you how to drill one in.
    What type of vent pipe was used?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • troutdog
    troutdog Member Posts: 3
    Hi Hot Rod, I've checked the Installation manual and it doesn't reference combustion ports. They used PVC pipe.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    My method was to drill and tap for a 1/4 pipe plug
    Use a pvc plug
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 576
    If this is indeed a new model, there should be a port with a plug built into the universal vent adapter. For wall mounted units, it'll be clearly visible on top, but for the floor mounted you have to remove the front cover for access. The previous model provided a tee with a plug for field installation, but many opted not to use it.

And the manual does reference this, taken from lochinvar khb199n io manual

For this model as well, the universal vent adapter can be removed and piped directly if they required an immediate turn or wanted to increase with a reducing coupling directly without adding a piece of pipe.

mikeapolis