Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Embassy Onxy

Options
I had an Embassy Onyx installed in my home 2013 (post Sandy).
I have a call in with my (new) plumber who is not a certified Embassy technician, however, I know the business owner (who is reputable) and he stated to me that they work on several makes and models of combination units.

I have an appointment tomorrow but would like to have an understanding of what the potential problem with my unit is before they arrive.

My unit is installed in my bathroom. I have a copper pipe that runs from the unit down through the floor into the basement; the pipe is toward the front of the unit and on the left-hand side of the unit; it is open-ended.

I just noticed that there is quite a bit of water on the basement floor and discovered that the pipe I mentioned has been leaking water. I noticed that the "dripping" occurs only when there is a demand for either heat or hot water.

(I do have a condensation hose (on the right side of the unit-it is corrugated) that drains through a filter into a u-trap in the basement-to clarify it is not the issue).

I cannot find chatter regarding this issue, so I am reaching out to you, Larry, to give me some guidance as to what to expect; if you have any insight to the problem.

So, Larry, help.

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    pictures ?

do you see a pressure gage and what does it read?

that could be a backflow prevention valve vent,
    or the high pressure safety valve,
    if the safety valve, which I'm guessing cause it's happening when the unit is heating,
    then first suspect the expansion tank being water logged,
    known to beat dead horses
  • Gckenneally
    Gckenneally Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I tried to send pics via phone but not working. However, the resting PSI is 15.

I had "former" plumber's tech come and do service on unit, replacing ignition rods and flame sensor (annual stuff) and he tried to sell me on a gas valve; he's worked on unit for the past three years (usually it's the owner's son). I was miffed by this (he always seems to find something the unit needs-I never trusted him) and right after he left, the "harmonics" started. I immediately called the rep at Embassy here in Melville to get his opinion of the new development. He informed me that if the gas value was a problem it wouldn't be a slow process but it would go bad without warning. He indicated to me that the unit probably need a gas valve adjustment. This is when I called the new plumber. The new plumber didn't find anything wrong and of course when he came....no harmonics. It still makes the noise so when the rep comes tomorrow I will deal with that issue, but the water "dripping" concerned me which I hadn't noticed when the new guy came.
    I will have him look at the expansion tank and discuss the backflow prevention valve vent and the high pressure safety valve (which seems to me that this is what it might be).
    I appreciate your diagnostic impromptu and will give an update in case anyone else might experience the kinds of issues.
    Thanks!
    Mad Dog_2
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    I am willing to bet it is the expansion tank that is waterlogged. The Onex has one that is inside the jacket (typically silver) on the left hand side. It is prone to "failure" You can drain the boiler off and see if you can repressurize it. if not it will need to be replaced. It's not an inexpensive item.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 885
    Options
    ask them to pick up an expansion tank and relief valve before they come, then they wont have to run back out.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Gckenneally
    Gckenneally Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Plumber called and am confident with his phone summation which is in line with what you all have indicated. I will definitely have tech check out expansion tank as well and address the harmonics issue. I think I can wipe the sweat from my brow.
    I hope that anyone else that has a combi or any problems with their heat/hot water systems check this website out and take advantage of the advice.
    Will update.