Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dang barbed fitting on a 1" hose

Options
Dave Carpentier
Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 589
Had to change out a fitting on my well draw line to the pump. Some kind of re enforced 1" hose that I had to push on to a barbed fitting. Tried heating up the hose to make it more pliable , but then the hose would bend and bunch up when I tried pushing it on. Frustration ensued.. many attempts at different temps.
Ended up using a pair of medium sized snap ring pliers with some heat shrink on the ends (to protect the inside of the hose). Warmed the hose up and it stretched out nice with the pliers.. slipped right on to that barbed fitting.

Maybe there's a proper tool for that issue, but I thought I'd throw this idea here in case someone can use it.
30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
Currently in building maintenance.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Maybe there's a proper tool for that issue, but I thought I'd throw this idea here in case someone can use it.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    For smaller hose a pair of needle nose pliers also work.

I push the closed pliers unto the hose until tight and rotate while pushing.

This usually expands it enough to get the barb started.
    HomerJSmithMikeAmann
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    I wonder if an Uponor expansion tool might do it 🤔

Yours, Larry
    HomerJSmith
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options
    Are you talking about black polyethylene pipe?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    The trick is to just heat it enough to get the fitting on, but no more. I also only heat about 2/3 of the barb length on the hose, so it has less chance of buckling.
    Rick
  • Dave Carpentier
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Are you talking about black polyethylene pipe?

No. This is flexible line that can be used on suction. Somewhat translucent with a cross-weave of something in it, plus a fairly thick spiral reinforcement strip on the outside.

Maybe it just has a narrow temp range for workability. I've use black pipe before, it pretty much warms up and slips on without too much cussing.

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Oh, suction line. That stuff is very hard to install barbs in. Warm it up till it is somewhat soft, and then pound the fitting in with a hammer and block of wood. Those are a pain for sure.
    Rick
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,962
    Options
    @Dave Carpentier
    Is this the pipe? Its called tigerflex

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited May 2023
    Options
    That is vinyl tubing, I think. I also use oetiker clamp, too or a hose clamp. I use this tubing to replace the failed condensate drain line on the Muchkins. Works great and saves a ton of money on the standard replacement.
  • Dave Carpentier
    Options
    It looks like that on the outside
    Intplm. said:

@Dave Carpentier
    Is this the pipe? Its called tigerflex

The ribs look just like that, but I think it has extra layers in the main wall for pressure or wear ?
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hi, A thought... Can you grind the barbs down on the side of a fine grinding wheel so it will be simpler to fit? A hose clamp or two once the hose is in place would be good too :p

Yours, Larry
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Warm the tube with a heat gun, use a plastic mallet to drive it in.

Seems like an expensive suction pipe? Black Poly p well tube is adequate, unless you need the flexibility?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    rick in Alaska
  • Dave Carpentier
    Options
    Larry - True, on the suction side the barbs are a bit overkill. Filing down even the first barb would have helped get the pipe mounted to the diameter.. didnt think of that.

Hotrod - I tried warming it up in various temps with my heat gun.. there might be a 'window' of temp where it would be flex enough to mount but not too soft and bendy, but if so I didnt find it lol.
    I thought of the stretching-it-out-from-the-inside idea after I looked at my wirsbo lines and their expansion rings.