Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Circulator Pump Rattling

D818
D818 Member Posts: 17
Hello,

The circulator pump for my hot water has been rattling pretty loudly for a few months now. I've read that this means it's on its way out but it still has been working ok. Is this ok or should I replace, clean, purge, or be concerned about a bigger issue?

Thanks,
D

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    How old is it?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    It may be a swing check valve.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 897
    If it is a B&G it could be a pump coupler or worn out bearing assembly.
  • D818
    I'm not sure how old it is, we bought house a year ago. I replaced a taco circulator pump a few months ago. I'm thinking maybe I remove and try to inspect/clean. Not sure though, just want to make sure not a bigger issue or problem with pipes or pressure. Thanks all
  • hot_rod
    A pic of the pump and piping may shed some light. Most circ have date codes on them. In DHW applications, constant fresh water and minerals, they do wear out after years.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • D818
    I tried to upload a video earlier but it wouldn't let me. This is a picture of room, the pump in question is furthest left labeled HW (next to one that says 1st floor).
  • hot_rod
    There is a small plastic check valve in that pump, Typically. It is often the cause of the noise.
    You would need to isolate that circulator and remove it to check its condition

Air in the line could also cause noise. Possibly that green air purger is plugged/ scaled up. I’d remove the brass top and check that also.

What pressure is on the system. 10-12 psi minimum.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Some of the early check valve circulators would spit out the check. It would end up in the iso valve or piping and cause a commotion. Yours look to be about that vintage🤔
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA