Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone still heating after thermostat turned way down below current call temperature level

Options
Newly repaired pipes and new circulator pump and everything was working (yay) then it kept getting hotter (boo). We usually heat at 60 and it is 72 downstairs, I checked the furnace and the zone valve has no voltage but the returns are hot hot hot. I just turned off the boiler, turned off the fuse to the boiler and turned both back on wondering it this might reset things. Then I grew impatient and just turned off the thermostat on that first floor zone. Any ideas?? Thank you!

Comments

• Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 590
    Options
    What kind of zone valve ?
    I had one that was leaking thru a bit and would continue to allow heat.
    The valve actuator was closed, but the valve itself was a wee bit open.
    Any other zone that caused the circulator to come on would cause heat to keep going into that "closed" zone. I managed to tighten down the valve body a bit, and the situation ended.

Maybe post a pic of your manifolds ?
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • potatoskater
    potatoskater Member Posts: 52
    Options
    I just replaced the pump and it seems to be running all the time. We do have one zone the garage that never is able to heat up to its target temp, just a poor design and leaky box with pipes in it..,(ugh) so it is likely that zone is always calling but when I went to check the voltage, no zone was at the call voltage,…should I open the zone valve manually and see if there is some debris stuck in there that can then get pushed on by?
  • potatoskater
    Options

What kind of zone valve ?
    I had one that was leaking thru a bit and would continue to allow heat.

Taco Gold
  • potatoskater
    Options
    I just shut down the boiler for a little while to try to cool off a bit
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Is this what you are talking about?
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options
    Need more information to properly diagnose flow through valve when thermostat is satisfied. never answered the question about type of valve that's bypassing? if the problem started when you changed the circulator, perhaps the circulator pressure is greater than the valve can hold back? Contact Taco at 401-942-8000 and ask for tech support.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • potatoskater
    Options
    Thank you all, UPDATE: I shut it off fir the night as it was hit in the house and coasted through to the next day. I opened the zone valve manually and then when I started the boiler back up I closed the valve and everything has been fine since. 60 degrees solid. I don’t know what happened , if the shut down was a reset of sorts, if the valve had been stuck open somehow, maybe by some debris that accidentally was introduced when I swapped in the new pump but so far..,if that didn’t work I was going to press the red reset button on the furnace panel but alas.,,smooth knock on wood sailing. Many thanks to everyone who “piped” in!
    Dave Carpentier
  • potatoskater
    Options
    Still holding,,,! 👍