Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless WBV-03-110-WPCT cold start?

Rickoo
Rickoo Member Posts: 54
I'm converting from a tankless coil to an indirect. This boiler is 23 years old and the only time its gone cold is during a power outage (very infrequently) or the few times the system needed repairs that required shut down.

Should I expect any issues when the boiler will now be running cold start with the indirect?

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,212
    I wouldn't worry about it.  I've converted plenty of WBV Peerless boilers to cold start without issues.  If anything, you might have the automatic air vents leak when it cools down.  But if they leak that's a good indicator that they needed replacing anyway. 
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    When they (you) redo the piping, pipe in a thermostatic 3 way (or 4 way) mixing valve to protect the boiler from low water temperatures. Change the aquastat to a modern one, enable circulator hold off.
    In reality, you're switching to warm start. The boiler probably won't go completely cold. Your boiler will most likely fire 2 or 3x a day for 5-10 minutes with no usage, just to recharge the indirect (depending on size).

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Rickoo
    My plan was to run the indirect at 140 degrees and install a mixing valve between hot/cold to adjust the domestic water to 120 or so.

How would a mixing valve be used to prevent the boiler from going cold? The indirect is a 45 gallon HTP Superstor ultra.

I'm using a Hydrostat 3250 plus

Any other suggestions are certainly appreciated!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    The mixing valve on the boiler piping is to prevent condensing from extended run times of low temperature return water.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Rickoo
    Thanks Steve. Wondering how important this is. If left out and the boiler is having condensing issues will it be easy to detect somehow?

Any chance you could link a good diagram that shows where to pipe a mixing valve in?