Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why are Watts diaphragms so $$$?

guzzinerd
guzzinerd Member Posts: 232
edited February 2023 in Strictly Steam
I'm in the middle of replacing the old Dunham steam trap internals in my building and found that one of them has this Watts type G steam trap

The replacement diaphragm is $225!  Are these supposed to last forever? Do i leave it alone?  Why so expensive?

Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Try Tunstall Associates in Chicopee, Ma or Barnes and Jones in the Boston area (Randolph I think)

Everything is expensive now, have you bought any eggs lately
    Mad Dog_2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited February 2023

Try Tunstall Associates in Chicopee, Ma or Barnes and Jones in the Boston area (Randolph I think)

Everything is expensive now, have you bought any eggs lately

Have you been able to answer the age old question of What came first? Expensive Chickens or Expensive Eggs?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    CLambguzzinerdMikeAmannMad Dog_2
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,022
    You are purchasing that through supply house, they are a great resource but many items are priced at "retail" pricing to not compete with existing wholesale business or contractor business. If you purchase through a local distributor who keeps product on hand you may get a better price, looking at our own vendors I would say you would get it a LOT cheaper
    guzzinerdLong Beach Ed
  • guzzinerd
    Try Tunstall Associates in Chicopee, Ma or Barnes and Jones in the Boston area (Randolph I think) Everything is expensive now, have you bought any eggs lately
    I get it, just a real shock compared to the $30 dollar kits from Barnes.  I'll try Tunstall.

We have our own chickens, haven't received their bill yet.
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
    Mad Dog_2
  • guzzinerd
    edited February 2023
    I tried Tunstall btw, they referred me back to the supply house.

I think I'll just install a new trap, costs half.
    GGrossMad Dog_2
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    If you are a contractor, your professional supplier can get you a much better price. You are seeing retail homeowners' pricing. Some manufacturers and distributors protect the trade.
    GGrossMad Dog_2
  • guzzinerd
    If you are a contractor, your professional supplier can get you a much better price. You are seeing retail homeowners' pricing. Some manufacturers and distributors protect the trade.
    I understand.  Not a contractor, just getting my building up to snuff.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Just picked up a late supper after a meeting. Diner. Omlette, hash, potatoes toast OJ......$33 bucks.....  mad 🐕 Dog
  • guzzinerd
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Just picked up a late supper after a meeting. Diner. Omlette, hash, potatoes toast OJ......$33 bucks.....  mad 🐕 Dog
    ----_------
    Dang!!!