Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best soot removal method.

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
In your experience what is the most effective way to remove from the side of a home. Cement/ Hardie type siding. I have a house where the appliance got fouled thereby sooting up the outside of the siding. I would not want to just start spraying water, detergent etc. w/o a solid plan. TIA

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,917
    You want to remove the soot, right?  I'd try warm water and MEX first. Mad Dog
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    Thanks
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Have your tried spray 9 ,I ve had good luck cleaning all sorts of soot and dirt and nasty boiler mud works pretty well and a great tough grease cutter also a disinfectant .
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    kcoppMad Dog_2
  • kcopp
    hmmm. Never heard of Spray 9. I will look into it...
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,917
    Me neither. You guys ever heard of ZEP-45? Used it 35 years ago. It was MUCH better than WD-40, but had all kinds of warnings on the can..."banned in California...blah blah." Probably banned now or watered down version. Mad Dog
    kcopp
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    TSP with warm water. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828
    Sometimes there is just no way to get it perfectly clean again. The next best thing is to paint over it. BUT THAT DON'T ALWAYS WORK. If you do need to go that way, use KILZ oil based paint to seal the surface otherwise the carbon will migrate thru the paint.

Ask me how I know!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics