Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless hot water return loop

Options
northlakes
northlakes Member Posts: 95
edited February 2023 in Domestic Hot Water
I’ve read a number of threads on tankless and recirc but not sure I’m up to speed. I’ve got a kitchen sink on 2nd floor that takes a long time to get hot, I tried a little under sink 2.5 gal unit but after 5 months the anode is already looking bad and I’m definitely not up for replacement twice a year, with it on top floor it feels like too much of a flood hazard with that level of maintenance.

Distance to sink is about 30 feet from the heater and it’s a bit surprising to me that it takes that long to purge, the fixture has a low flow but seems to take a couple of minutes to get hot. Tankless seems plenty big at 199000 btu.

I’ve read about complicated pump and sensor systems but is there any way to speed up the purge with a loop that has an aquastat valve inline or something? It’s not a super long run so it seems to make sense in my novice head that a loop would speed up the purge time by a factor of gpm loop/gpm fixture, lowering pressure until aquastat valve closes and then resuming normal pressure?

About 20’+ of this run is 3/4” and about 10’ remainder to sink is 1/2” copper. I’m assuming this is what makes it slower to purge than similar length runs with less 3/4” in the run. I could try bypassing that run with all 1/2 pex direct to sink but not sure how much faster it would get? 
Strong sense I‘ve got this wrong, but appreciate any help sorting it out. 

Comments