Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reusing Steam Heater Bowl?

Options
This is probably a strange question, but I’m really concerned and could use some expert help. 

We have old steam radiators in our apartment and they started leaking from the steam release valve a few days ago when it was really cold. Used some stainless steel bowls to collect the water dripping from them and washed the bowls after the dripping had stopped. I just used one of those bowls to make food and am now really worried I’ve poisoned myself/my partner because of the water that dripped out of the heater… should I be worried? Should I throw the bowls away?

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    No need to worry. 
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    Fwiw, one of my colleagues employees, decided to drink boiler water, just for kicks. Still alive and well, last I heard. Wouldn't recommend drinking boiler water, but in your scenario, I highly doubt there is anything to be concerned about. 
    Canadian_Al
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 251
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Steam is distilled water. Unless it was carrying residual oils from the boiler (not likely above the first floor), or manufacturing oils from the radiator itself (not likely after a century) the only contaminants would be traces of iron and whatever the valve/spud & any paint applied to them that the condensate picked up as it leaked out. Stainless steel is non-porous and dish soaps non-ionic [removes the following nasty things that normally you'd worry about not being removed by other soaps], so any potential oil or trace lead from paint/brass/bronze and iron should have been removed if washed.

I'd get some other disposable aluminum foil bowls to deal with the problem if it reoccurs, but you should not have adverse health affects from reusing those stainless steel bowls as long as they were washed.

Remember that you are exposed to the air from inside the radiators each time they vent. If the insides were filled with anything toxic you would be breathing it the entire heating season. No one is getting ill from steam radiators short of someone putting the wrong chemicals in a boiler which vaporize [unlikely] or taking a wire brush to old paint containing heavy metals.