Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Let's see your DIY PEX uncoilers!

Wanted to save money? Or wanted a better uncoiler? Or just couldn't wait for shipping?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,616
    Not proud, but it worked for my shop tube. A shop stool and two pieces of waferboard. Coils went over the legs to keep it in place.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    watercourseGGrossSTEVEusaPATonKa
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,039
    Are these really required with Uponor type A pex?

I've seen big issues with uncoiling type B, but A seems to do it naturally.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,976
    ChrisJ said:

A and B come off the roll the same way, so the issues would be the same regardless of tubing type. If you have someone you don't like who will hand-over-hand the rolls to keep them from getting kinked up, no an uncoiler is not needed. If you want to make it easier on everybody, an uncoiler is very helpful with any type of tubing.

GGross
  • ChrisJ
    edited February 2023
    GroundUp said:

ChrisJ said:

A and B come off the roll the same way, so the issues would be the same regardless of tubing type. If you have someone you don't like who will hand-over-hand the rolls to keep them from getting kinked up, no an uncoiler is not needed. If you want to make it easier on everybody, an uncoiler is very helpful with any type of tubing.

I had assumed an "uncoiler" somehow straightened the pex as you unrolled it?

I guess I assumed wrong. The biggest issue I've had with Pex B is it wants to stay coiled.

I've only done very small jobs with it, but I get by pulling pex A from the center of their "bag" it ships in.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hot_rod
    The uncoiler uncoils the opposite of how the machines coil it at the factory, so it does take the "curl" out as much as possible.

"A" pex is crosslinked as the polymer is melted.

"B" pex is crosslinked after the extrusion and coiling, a silane steam bath of sorts :) So it likes to stay in a coil.

I'd say pulling from the center is the worse way to uncoil unless you unwind the entire roll, and run :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    hot_rod said:

The uncoiler uncoils the opposite of how the machines coil it at the factory, so it does take the "curl" out as much as possible.

"A" pex is crosslinked as the polymer is melted.

"B" pex is crosslinked after the extrusion and coiling, a silane steam bath of sorts :) So it likes to stay in a coil.

I'd say pulling from the center is the worse way to uncoil unless you unwind the entire roll, and run :)

Maybe.
    But it's how Uponor says to do it, so that's how I've been doing it.

Intplm.
  • hot_rod
    yet when using an uncoiler is suggests to remove outer layer of plastic?

Whatever works for you :)

Lot like romex, either use an unwinder and peel from outside, or the DIY plastic bag and pull from inside.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    knotgrumpy
  • ChrisJ
    hot_rod said:
    yet when using an uncoiler is suggests to remove outer layer of plastic? Whatever works for you :) Lot like romex, either use an unwinder and peel from outside, or the DIY plastic bag and pull from inside.
    No no don't misinterpret what I say.
    I have no clue what I'm doing on this.   So I'm here for learning.

Romex you have to pull from the outside unless you like suffering.    That part I know.   The pex I haven't had an issue.   But I've probably pulled a whole......100 feet?
    GGrossknotgrumpy
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,921
    I made and ugly one for Romex but it works well. Some waferboard and a $4 lazy susan swivel from HD
  • hot_rod
    Romex used to come in cardboard boxes. It had a marking on the box to cut out the center and pull from the inside of the coil. Same with the plastic bags it comes in now.
    If you do a lot of wiring with coils, these unwinders are worth owning
    The wire pulls better from a spinner and from outside the coil, especially working alone.
    Put a pipe through the coil and mount between two studs, or inside a step ladder is another tip.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • lkstdl
    lkstdl Member Posts: 41
    I had assumed an "uncoiler" somehow straightened the pex as you unrolled it? I guess I assumed wrong. The biggest issue I've had with Pex B is it wants to stay coiled. I've only done very small jobs with it, but I get by pulling pex A from the center of their "bag" it ships in.
    For long runs of 1.5" pex, we run it thru a tubing roller to take some of the bend out. 

The roller is made to put a bend in to metal tubing, but with some electrical tape wrapped around the rollers it does a good job straightening.

(Once you cut the pex, it will curl again near the cut, so we use Uponer pipe supports or EMT cut in half to keep it straight.)

Luke

Luke Stodola
    ChrisJ
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 876
    When mounting under a step ladder, make sure to orient the roll in the right direction or the ladder will be tipping over a lot!
  • watercourse
    watercourse Member Posts: 28
    Ended up using some split 2x4s screwed together and mounted on a dowel, on a bike rack!