Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water leak on Utica Boiler

NickB2008
NickB2008 Member Posts: 10
Hi all, I have a Utica wall system. Installed 11/2016. The other day I was getting error A01 for ignite switch and I took it out to clean it. 

However, I noticed as soon as I took the cover off there was a bunch of water in there (the cover). I pinpointed the leak and put a container to catch the water and I got this much in 18 hours. 

Any idea what this may be? It’s to the right of that nut and bolt (with the little red on it). I have a video as well but can’t seem to post it  

for now, I have left cover off and put big bowl on the ground to catch any drops of water.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    I have never seen one of these, but:

I would check condensate drains and traps, I am guessing this is the bottom of the boiler and that water should have drained away.

Cleaning should be an annual process.
  • NickB2008
    JUGHNE said:
    I have never seen one of these, but: I would check condensate drains and traps, I am guessing this is the bottom of the boiler and that water should have drained away. Cleaning should be an annual process.
    Yeah, it’s below the heat condenser. Where they brown tube goes into. 

• JUGHNE
    edited February 2023
    Does the brown tube go down under the boiler?
    It may transition to different piping under the boiler, will not be copper, goes to a drain somewhere.

You could test your lung power by blowing into it to back flush the nasties, be quick as it will taste terrible.

There should be water dripping out of the drain whenever it fires.

If you disconnect it inside, it looks like there is a loop to form a water trap...usually where blockage happens.....the trap must be maintained to avoid passing exhaust gasses out the drain.
    NickB2008
  • NickB2008
    Yup, it goes down into the white tubing and into this neutralizer.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    There's nothing dripping from above, like condensation in the combustion air pipe, or a leak on the copper water pipe?

The nut and bolt is part of the air/gas tube and directly over the burner. 
  • NickB2008
    HVACNUT said:
    There's nothing dripping from above, like condensation in the combustion air pipe, or a leak on the copper water pipe?

The nut and bolt is part of the air/gas tube and directly over the burner. 
    This circle is where the drip comes from. That’s a water droplet forming in the picture  
  • JUGHNE
    For me, for any mod con burner, furnace or boiler, the first suspects are cond drain and flame sensor.

If you take that hose off the bottom, make sure the drain port is open into the boiler.

You can prime the hose before putting it back in.
    NickB2008
  • NickB2008
    Thanks! My plumber can come (he’s away) but not till mid April and he’ll fix no charge. So, I guess my question is can I leave the cover off and everything exposed for 1.5 months? Or is this something where I need immediate help?
  • HVACNUT
    Setting my world right-side up, is that a drop in mid air? 

If that's not a drop and the water is originating from the nut and bolt area, then there's a bad seal there and waiting until mid April might not cut it. 
  • NickB2008
    HVACNUT said:
    Setting my world right-side up, is that a drop in mid air? 

If that's not a drop and the water is originating from the nut and bolt area, then there's a bad seal there and waiting until mid April might not cut it. 
    It is a drop mid air. It seems to be coming from that bolt area. 

This is how I have it right now. It’s dropping right into that bowl. 
  • HVACNUT
    Sorry, it was me that was upside-down. 
    Is there a condensate pump? Where does the drain go?
    Try shutting down, remove the hose clamp and have something ready to put under the drain to catch the water. Then use a compressor or vacuum in reverse if you have and blow out the drain hose.
    NickB2008
  • NickB2008
    HVACNUT said:
    Sorry, it was me that was upside-down. 
    Is there a condensate pump? Where does the drain go?
    Try shutting down, remove the hose clamp and have something ready to put under the drain to catch the water. Then use a compressor or vacuum in reverse if you have and blow out the drain hose.
    Thanks for this. Unfortunately I don’t have anything to blow out the drain hose. I was going to call a plumber in unless this can just sit like this till mid April and then I can get it fixed free. 
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,127
    Possibly your boiler condensate outlet or collector pan is slightly clogged w crap . Remove the plastic hose make sure it clear and use a bug sprayer to try and flush out the condensate collection pan . I would guess it dripping from condensate backing up and filling the collector . If your plumber is worth any thing I highly doubt he would tell u to wait and not come by I know I would be there if I had installed but that’s me . A gasket kit should be on hand for both the condensate collector and the burner gasket ,most likely the heat exchanger needs to be cleaned and condensate collector flushed also. If the u it been in a few years then it’s in need of a good servicing . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    NickB2008
  • NickB2008
    clammy said:
    Possibly your boiler condensate outlet or collector pan is slightly clogged w crap . Remove the plastic hose make sure it clear and use a bug sprayer to try and flush out the condensate collection pan . I would guess it dripping from condensate backing up and filling the collector . If your plumber is worth any thing I highly doubt he would tell u to wait and not come by I know I would be there if I had installed but that’s me . A gasket kit should be on hand for both the condensate collector and the burner gasket ,most likely the heat exchanger needs to be cleaned and condensate collector flushed also. If the u it been in a few years then it’s in need of a good servicing . Peace and good luck clammy
    Thank you! He just travels for the winter so that’s why he can’t come till mid April. He’s not back in the area till April 1st. 

So I can wait till mid April and get it fixed no charge or call a different plumber now. 
  • JUGHNE
    As I said I am not familiar with this boiler.

But many of these have a type of insulation in or around the combustion chamber and if consistency wet will cause deterioration of the insulation.

The hose inside will come off fairly easily and be rinsed with even low flow garden hose.
    Then a probe up into the burner chamber might loosen and blockage.

I would not wait for spring IIWM.
    SuperTechNickB2008
  • NickB2008
    I had a plumber come out today. He doesn't typically work on Utica boilers, but he knows enough. He called Utica directly on part numbers and to go through a few things.

Turns out I need...

A new gasket for the condenser
    A new igniter switch
    O ring/ cleaning kit?

Also, he did see some pretty bad wear on the gasket of the heat condenser, and the person from Utica told him if that goes I will need a whole new machine as you can't repair that.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,987
    Doesn't sound right. Did he or did he not clean the condensate piping and drain and neutralizer?
  • NickB2008

Doesn't sound right. Did he or did he not clean the condensate piping and drain and neutralizer?

He vacuumed it out, yes. But he was on the phone with Utica support the whole time.