Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water not circulating through boiler-new install

Options
I just finished up my install on my aqua balance. The zone circulator pump works fine. Before firing up the boiler I opened up the zones and turned this pump on. I could feel the pipes get cold after water moved past each zone valve. Then i felt the return manifold copper piping, that got cold as well after a bit, so i know the water was circulating. I left the pump run for about 15 min to circulate the X100. After testing the water, I fired up the boiler. First the temp flashed, then shut off. The temp wouldnt come back down at all. The supply pipe is hot. The main circulator pump is running based on touch. All valves are open. Arrow for the pump is facing up. I would think any air in the system would have been removed pre-boiler from my previous circulation. Any thoughts on what to check?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    The boiler or that circ may be air locked. Do you have valves installed to power purge the system?

It's not the best air purger for a high efficiency boiler :blush:
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    Options
    The boiler is air bound. Is there an air vent inside the boiler near the top?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,536
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Some boilers have valves inside the cabinet. I have seen valves buried in the back where you cannot easily see them. Other than that it could be air bound or a stuck check valve in the pump. Check the boiler pump amp draw as you open and close the red valve and see if the amps change. It should draw more amps when pumping water than it will with the valve closed. I would shut the supply side valve and open the relief valve (which needs a drop pipe) to purge. Is the pump pumping the right way?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    looks like a coil type, water tube boiler, they can be tricky to purge first time. Crank up them pressure on the fill valve and give it a good purge.
    Is there a vent or relief valve inside the cabinet also? Sometimes you can purge there.

Pump on speed 3 sometimes will blow it clear.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jakethomas
    jakethomas Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Got it!  There was a stubborn air pocket. System is working awesome! AquaBalance ftw
    knotgrumpyGGross