Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flow Valve for Viega 1002SV

Options
MANY years ago I installed this brass manifold. It has worked flawlessly, well I guess what could go wrong right? Anyway, I am looking to up my game. I have contacted Viega and thought I would ask here too. Is there a Flow Valve for this manifold? I just winged it when I set it up and now as I am much older and (maybe) wiser I think it would be good to balance this puppy better. My siystem is small (4 loops). If there isn't a Flow valve is there a way to balance th eheat better in the loops? Should there be a specific temp drop from source to return in the loop? I have a staple up to a hardwood floor. I am contemplating putting temp sensors on the return leg of the 4 loops and a sensor on the Mix tube. That way I can see any temp drop. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you provide.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,137
    Options
    Do you know where the various loops run? Or how long they are?  If so, some trial and error balancing should be doable sigh only 4 loops

we have taken this 669 out of the catalog, a slow moving product. Search around there are some lingering around the www.like this ebay site

The threads are standard, but the cone end may vary from brand to brand 

I suspect Viega had or has a similar item
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Ed Lentz_2 Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Thanks Hot Rod.
    I do know where the loops go and have a close idea how long they are. I contacted Viega and they have discontinued that part. It looks like that would go inline with the loop at the manifold right? I might have a real hassle trying to install them now. How would you balance them without a flow meter?
  • hot_rod
    Options
    The one I showed above goes onto the manifold. So you remove the pex, install the meter, shorten the pex 2 or 3" and reconnect.

I'm not sure it will help you much other then to show what the actual flowrate is when you are balancing.
    If you have a zone that under-performes, choke down all the others a bit to force flow where you need it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    Kinda thought that was the case for installing them. I do have a zone that is cooler so I will choke back the others a little. All things considered would a balanced system have approx the same Delta across all the zones? I can get the temp pretty easily.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    The delta from one end of the loop to the other is more of an indicator of how much heat energy is being transfered. It's not the best way to balance flow as the delta would be different depending on the load each loop is seeing.

Unless you have a design that indicates what gpm flow each loop requires, and what delta it was selected at design day, a flow measurement may only help in telling you the loop is actually flowing, not air bound.

If you identify the weak look, throttle the others. What type of valves are at the manifold to adjust flow? Got a pic?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    Unfortunately no design, I was advised by a Boiler installer that had been doing it for decades. Ad Hoc as it were. Here is a pic of the manifold system. The valves are on the bottom of the supply. I can't find the manual for this setup, it came as an all in one.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Has the performance dropped off on all loops? If so it could be some build up in the mixing or bypass components, the TRV valve mechanism or the actuator above 

looks like you have room to add inline meters if you wanted to gamble 25- 30 bucks on the ones I showed above on ebay. Looks like he would accept offers, just saying😃
    offer him 50 bucks to ship 4 of them

or search around for the Viega ones that were discontinued. Probably more then one person is sitting on a box of them
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    There hasn't been a drop off that I can percieve. I had to replace the Basic Heating Control this winter it was doing all sorts of stupid. With another controller it is working better, I am just trying to get it as good as possible within reason. I have been trying to find the original valves but no luck so far, even to find the part #
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Bo DeAngelo is the tech guy at Viega in Broomfield, Co, a former contractor, he may have some ideas.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    Thanks I'll see if I can catch up with him.
  • Radman
    Radman Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi Ed. Erin pinged me that HR was throwing out my name... Here is the tech doc on that injection station. As for balancing, the old Stadler ports probably would not fit the same thread though I cannot confirm (for loop flowmeters) Stadler only offered that injection station with 2 circulator versions, low head & high head. A start would be increasing your flowrate with the supply temp you have being provided by the heating control curve, and throttle the others down. Essentially you want to bring the average water temp up with the same supply temp by tightening the delta, then reduce flow manually on the other loops to expand the delta. (in the abscence of flow meters) Call Viega @ 800-976-9819 and ask for me. You might get voicemail in the event I am in one of 10000 meetings but I will get back to you.
    I have other tech docs on the manual fixed high limit and the modulating. It appears this station is equipped with the manual version (the trv on the boiler injection supply)
    "If it was easy, they would have called it PV."
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options
    Hi Bo
    Thanks for the doc. That is essentually what HR said to do. One zone is colder than the others, we don't use that area much, because of that ?? Maybe. I never understood what the TRV was used for, do you have anything that explains that usage?