Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this a steam or hw radiator?

It's available for under $100 not too far from me.
Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,108
    Sections connected top and bottom can be used on steam or water. Connected on the bottom only is steam. Looks like steam & water to me. If it was used on water you may have to drill and tap for the steam vent if your on a 1 pipe system. Looks like it has the boss on the rad to drill it
    guzzinerd
  • guzzinerd
    guzzinerd Member Posts: 244
    Would be for my 2 pipe steam system, looks like can take it then.
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 971
    edited February 2023
    @guzzinerd that radiator will work on two pipe steam; however, the existing hybrid radiant convectors in your building will heat very differently from this one which contains much more metal, therefore will heat up and cool down more slowly. Most likely if you put this one in, it will overheat the room compared to the others.

Bburd
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,247
    Prepare to learn the advanced art of 95 year old steel plug and bushing liberation.
    guzzinerdmattmia2
  • guzzinerd
    bburd said:
    @guzzinerd that radiator will work on two pipe steam; however, the existing hybrid radiant convectors in your building will heat very differently from this one which contains much more metal, therefore will heat up and cool down more slowly. Most likely if you put this one in, it will overheat the room compared to the others.
    Good to know.  Can the valve adjustment help regulate the heat or when it's hot it's hot?  Would be in a spot where a much larger convector was located 

Prepare to learn the advanced art of 95 year old steel plug and bushing liberation.
    .I've taken up getting my old system up to snuff why stop now?
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 971
    edited February 2023
    Unfortunately I'm not aware of any modern replacement that will match the thermal mass and heating characteristics of your original radiation.

If you're going to install that one, I suggest putting a TRV on the steam supply and bringing it in at the top. That should control overheating.

Bburd
    guzzinerd
  • guzzinerd
    bburd said:
    Unfortunately I'm not aware of any modern replacement that will match the thermal mass and heating characteristics of your original radiation.

If you're going to install that one, I suggest putting a TRV on the steam supply and bringing it in at the top. That should control overheating.
    Appreciate it.  I'd like to replace 5 missing convector rads with real radiators.  Unless you guys think the floor board models they stuck in will do the job once i put traps on them?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,443
    you can still buy numerous styles of convector cabinets.
  • guzzinerd
    mattmia2 said:
    you can still buy numerous styles of convector cabinets.
    Thanks. You recommend anyone?