Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Violent shaking of boiler

So, I'm trying to figure out what could have caused this. I had someone by earlier to replace the flame sensor and igniter for my boiler. Things were working great until about an hour ago when the boiler started shaking like crazy. So hard the house was vibrating. I shut it off, and now the shaking happens almost immediately after it fires now. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? It's a Williamson OSB-4 with a with an Economite EC200 conversion burner.

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,727
    KEEP IT SHUT OFF
    are you sure you have water in that boiler?

WAIT,
    DO NOT rush down there and add water,
    if there's no water, and the boiler has been firing and overheating, then you have a BOMB if you're adding water before the boiler can cool.
    Until you can touch the near boiler piping, and control surfaces,
    Don't add water unless that boiler is cool.

are you sure you have water in that boiler?
    known to beat dead horses
    Intplm.
  • johnjpope
    johnjpope Member Posts: 6
    I intend to leave it off until I can get someone to look at it tomorrow. And I have water in the boiler, at least as far as the indicator glass shows.
  • neilc
    is it hotter than hot ?
    any new unusual odor ?
  • johnjpope
    neilc said:

is it hotter than hot ?
    any new unusual odor ?

I'm honestly not sure if it's hotter or not, as I shut it off too fast. The shaking starts very quickly. Probably less than 10 seconds after the purge cycle. I hadn't really noticed any kind of odor.
  • neilc
    keep it off til someone looks at it,
    good luck there
    johnjpopeCorktown
  • johnjpope
    When the repairman came by, he said the knob for the gas valve was loose and probably got knocked when he was taking it in an out. Gas flow is back to normal and house is not shaking.
    Intplm.