Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaky and water sounds

Options
Problem: steam radiator water spitting out of air vent. Valve open all the way. Tried to replace 1/8” but replacements wouldn’t fit even with tape. Only way to stop spitting was to tighten it to 90 deg clockwise. Still lots of water splashing sounds on top thin pipe that spans the length of the radiator (see where pointing on below image). 

Comments

• Sophes
    Sophes Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Had trouble finishing post but thank you so much for anyone who can help provide suggestions to fix this!! It’s a Dole 1933 air valve so going to buy the same exact one online now too. (Previously just got 1/8” from Home Depot). Also curious if I should add pitch to it by putting a few quarters under the legs farthest from the inlet valve? Saw that online as an option
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,567
    Options
    Check raditor pitch wiht level slope towards pipe end. Raise opposite end with crowbar if needed and shim with washers etc. What steam pressure is boiler running at? Post some pictures. If the threads for air vent are worn out you may have to drill and tap 1 size bigger 1/4" NPT and use a bushing.

Picture of boiler and steam piping above and around boiler and radiator picture an d steam pressure control
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    My house is about 100 years old with the original radiators. I had to shim some of them up because the house settled over the years. i cut some plywood slats (1/4" X 1-1/2" X 10" for old column style radiators) and slid them under the vent end so correct the pitch. On the one i suspected might have problems with the horizontal pipe between floors i shimmed the valve end 1/2" and the vent end 3/4".

You could stain the slats to somewhat match your floors.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Sophes
    Sophes Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks all. Haven’t changed the pitch yet but here’s another photo