Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Angle Radiator Valve for Balancing (with linear flow control)

sixplex
sixplex Member Posts: 89
I have cast iron baseboard radiators with angle valves.
It's a monoflow diverter tee system.
Radiators closest to the boiler overheat.

Dahl Canada used to make the following which have just been discontinued:

They have linear flow control for every turn of the spindle as opposed to a regular radiator valve which is apparently mostly meant for on/off and has 80% of the flow when 1/4 open which isn't useful for balancing

Does anyone know of a different valve i can use that's specifically meant for balancing?

Mad Dog_2

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 954
    1/4 turn plug valves are made for balancing. 

Bburd
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    That looks like a really well made valve.  I  wonder why they discontinued it? It's funny how 400 Miles North of where I lie, on my couch, totally different products with names you've never heard are usrd. Mad Dog
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,209
    Try tunstall/ Macon balancing. I cant get to their balancing valve page on this touch screen too see if they have avradiatir valve because of how their menus work. Could use a valve and a nipple and an ell.
    Mad Dog_2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,702
    Lots of different types of balance valves. It come down to how much accuracy or control you need or want.
    And how much $$ you want to spend.
    The biggest mistake is over sizing a control valve, then chocking it way down to reduce flow.
    Size the valve by the Cv number, the flow rate required.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2sixplexMad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • mattmia2
    The fact that it is monoflow means there is probably far less than 1 psi delta p so the CV is probably much larger than the needed flow. Monoflow makes it more complicated.
    Mad Dog_2
  • sixplex
    edited February 2023
    This is in a 70 y/o 4 plex (4 unit apartment building).
    The temperature in each unit listed in order of proximity to the boiler.

Apt 1. 23.5 °C
    Apt 2. 21.5
    Apt 3. 20
    Apt 4. 19.5

There are 6 radiators in each unit.
    I figure if i throttle down Apt 1. and maybe Apt 2 . they all should be close to 21.

The problem is the pipes aren't exposed, the only type of valve that i could use
    would be of the same form factor. And i might not even be able to change them due to the location.

Plan B is to change the washers on the the existing 70 y/o valved which say HOT > HOLD on the handles, perhaps they'll be able to control the flow to some extend.

Is there a simpler way even out the temperature between the apartments given this is a monoflow system ?

• sixplex
    edited February 2023
    hot_rod said:

Lots of different types of balance valves. It come down to how much accuracy or control you need or want.
    And how much $$ you want to spend.
    The biggest mistake is over sizing a control valve, then chocking it way down to reduce flow.
    Size the valve by the Cv number, the flow rate required.

I don't care about the cost of parts, but i don't want to be opening up walls and doing major surgery, it's tenanted building.

Can i retrofit the existing valves with a custom plug ?
  • hot_rod
    Try adjusting the valves you have, it would not be an easy, pretty valve upgrade.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Hot 🔥 Rod.  Aren't we talking about 'needle" valves for super fine tuning? Mad Dog 
  • hot_rod
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Hot 🔥 Rod.  Aren't we talking about 'needle" valves for super fine tuning? Mad Dog 
    Lots of balance valve options, but that size, angle pattern would be harder to find. It looks similar to a globe valve design, it should be able to adjust to some degree
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,319
    edited February 2023
    Is there a working valve on the cooler radiator locations? Could an "inaccurate adjustment" valve from the system be relocated to a cold radiator and left at full open? Then install the “operating properly” valve on the overheating room’s radiator?

While the valves are removed from the system, perhaps the problem may be discovered inside the mechanism and repairs can be completed before recommissioning the valve.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• mattmia2
    A TRV with a remote control is really what you want for your situation. Maybe take the top plug out of the baseboard and use a straight valve or even an angle valve. Maybe a short piece of copper with flare fittings.