Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vibration in closed loop hydronic system

Options
Tonerlow
Tonerlow Member Posts: 60
edited February 2023 in Radiant Heating
Heat came on last night, woke us up in bed. Sounded like the dryer was running from the amount of vibration. What can cause this? I’m calling the plumber today to come inspect heating coil and I think I should get them to check the circ pump for debris/damage? Any other thoughts. 
Should mention I closed a good portion of the dampers upstairs last night, trying to push more heat into the nursery which is typically 5F colder than the rest of the upstairs. High return temps cause this vibration? I am borrowing an infrared thermometer this weekend, going to shoot temps of piping, radiators etc. 

it’s a Vitodens 200w with fin tube in a 1250 ft2 split level. 

Comments

• Tonerlow
    Options
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,046
    edited February 2023
    Options
    The temperatures shouldn't cause vibration like that. I would start by checking the pump as you already have suspected that would be the most likely place to have vibrations. If it is not the pump try to get pictures of the piping and a wide angle shot of the installation as complete as possible

I had this typed earlier and forgot to hit send until you pinged me haha
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,137
    Options
    A piece of debris like a solder ball in the circulator impeller can create quite a viberation
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GGross
  • Tonerlow
    Options
    @hot_rod and then there was a squealing in the ball valve on the bypass, for a good part of the day my wife says. Then of course when the plumber showed up at 5:00 to look at it I could not get it to it make a single noise.