Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mar 10, 1903: When escutcheons were ESCUTCHEONS!

Options
SteamFTW
SteamFTW Member Posts: 76
Just a photo of a moment in time. Look at the height of the raised letters! This isn't flimsy chromed sheet metal.

Fast. Cheap. Good.
Pick any two.
EdTheHeaterManAlan (California Radiant) ForbesMad Dog_2GGrossguzzinerdCLambErin Holohan HaskellRobomoolukewatts

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    Did that have a lifetime warranty?

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,922
    Options
    You're killing me!!!! I need about 15,,,mostly 1" I.P.S. I'd paint that in black magic and golf leaf on the Raised letters. Mad Dog
    GGrossLong Beach EdRobomoogmcinnes
  • SteamFTW
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, @Mad Dog_2! The house that this came out of (circa 1918) needs about that many. Was that photo you posted last week [ https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/comment/1733728/#Comment_1733728 ] was that 1" pipe??? LOL. I used that photo to show the homeowner what we're up against.
    Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    SteamFTW said:

Just a photo of a moment in time. Look at the height of the raised letters! This isn't flimsy chromed sheet metal.

How did it get cracked?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SteamFTW
    Options
    @ChrisJ I wonder the same thing. I'm going to ask, but I doubt they know. I think it has been sitting around a pipe that hasn't seen the light of day in a long time. Forgot to take a picture of the topside. I'll do that when I'm there this week. I don't recall there being any sign of impact, though.
    Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.
  • gmcinnes
    gmcinnes Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Why, an average man would have to work for 2 years to afford a house full of those escutcheons in 1903 my good fellow!
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    gmcinnes said:

Why, an average man would have to work for 2 years to afford a house full of those escutcheons in 1903 my good fellow!

Cast iron, especially when mass produced isn't exactly expensive.

Those wouldn't be as cheap as stamped ones, but they wouldn't be extremely expensive either.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    gmcinnes
  • SteamFTW
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

How did it get cracked?

@ChrisJ Here's a photo of the topside. I don't see anything obvious to explain the break.

Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 511
    Options
    The carpet installers were probably the last ones to mess with them 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    reggi said:

What carpet installers?
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 511
    Options
    ChrisJ said:
    What carpet installers?
    Well the floor finishers,  the maid or the the brass polisher , whoever had a thought that it would be easy peasy to remove it like the plasunimin ones you have around your metric piping 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • JWoodoff
    JWoodoff Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I especially like Tim's model, where the decorative design obscures the joints. I've long had a question about the solid (not split) cast-iron escutcheons at the tops of the steam risers in my 4-story building. They have a set screw on the side, holding the escutcheon against the pipe. This means when the heat is off there's a considerable gap between the escutcheon and the ceiling, especially up on the 4th floor. Why weren't these made to be fixed to the ceiling, with the riser sliding through as it expands and contracts?
  • lukewatts
    lukewatts Member Posts: 7
    Options
    We have just designed and manufactured some solid brass escutcheons - I'm afraid they don't have the old school charm with patent and date but they certainly look great, are solid and really easy to install as a retrofit!

They're designed to clip together like jigsaw puzzle pieces and have magnets to provide extra stability.

You can see them here...

https://www.castrads.com/us/product/escutcheons/?gclid=CjwKCAiA3KefBhByEiwAi2LDHBWeNz8rXd639PQvZw5PkCPD8Oruapo2ftLawCinXOW7qNN4-FDPERoCYLkQAvD_BwE&goal=0_75ca0296b0-7d0e178c60-452149809&mc_cid=7d0e178c60&mc_eid=dbb48ce25a