Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blank for tankless coil

jpatras
jpatras Member Posts: 1
I have a Weil McLain cgt gas boiler tankless and is leaking around the tankless coil and a bit correeded. Bolts don’t look too bad . I have an indirect storage tank . Would like to remove coil and put in blank . Can find parts . Most parts are discontinued. For the coil it self price is anywere from 800 to 1500 if I might be able to get it . Any help be appreciated 

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    Probably easier to re-seal the plate and just abandon the tankless coil. I'd put antisieze on the bolts/nuts. Leave at least one end of the coil open since it is still being heated by the boiler.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    Go to a local machine shop and ask for a blank plate of 1/4" or 5/8" metal. Cut to size with a 3/4" pipe thread tapped in the center. Add the holes around the edge to match and Viola! A little black paint and a gasket will get you where you need to be. OR ...you can remove the existing coil from the boiler and cut off the copper coil. Plug the holes with 1/2" plugs and Viola! Some black paint, a gasket and you are ready to go.

After you have the new gasket and the new (or old) plate installed on the opening you will want to get it tight enough so it does not leak. Check it in about 3 months and you will find the bolts are loose. Tighten them up again. Check in another 3 months and that should be the last time you need to tighten them. If you don't follow up this way, the new gasket will be leaking in about 2 to 3 years and you will have the same condition in 6 to 8 years. No one ever checks that gasket and many of them look like yours.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 156
    therma-flow everhot should have a blank plate for that boiler
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    I had a plate made for my boiler - CNC laser-cut stainless 1/4" thick.
    https://www.2twentytwosteel.com/
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Yes. TFI Everhot would have a coil and gasket. I don't know if they would have a blank plate but they would have a drawing and dimensions. Then you could have a plate made at a local fab shop.

1-617-924-3877 They are in Boston