Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Identification and EDR for ceiling/duct mounted convectors, 1885 vintage

Options
NealJ
NealJ Member Posts: 43
I’m trying to validate system/boiler sizing in this 1885 house museum. I’ve got the radiators done, but I can’t identify the basement convectors and don’t know how to find the EDR. These are typically inside a box with ducted air flow. Those shown are disconnected and I’m going to attempt to pull the tie rods in place and disassemble (because I have no idea how I’d get it down from the ceiling whole). It appears the sections connect with spherical male/female joints that might have gaskets that I may be able to clean up and reseal. Anybody recognize these? Any idea how to calculate EDR/BTU? Some have more sections than others, just like radiators.

Long Beach Ed

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I wonder if it is possible that these radiators are similar to the Bundy indirect Radiators in these illustrations

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

NealJ
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Obviously be careful. Don’t let the rods full you. Those rads are super heavy

There was an error rendering this rich post.

NealJ
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 909
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I sent a book to the "heating museum" called the Ideal Fitter which has "vento units" in it that may help with sizing those radiators. The Museum has all kinds of information for your use.
    NealJ
  • garycz
    garycz Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Just a special warning about the obvious, check the insulation material hanging loose, also probably on the floor, good chance it may be positive for asbestos.
    NealJ
  • mattman
    mattman Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Use a duct hoist to get them down. Crank it up right under the radiator and let it rest on the arms, cut it loose and lower it down.
    Long Beach EdNYtimebomb
  • NYtimebomb
    NYtimebomb Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I have what look like very similar, if not the same, rad. There are no markings on it, but its supply / return connections are different than the Bundy Ed suggested.

A local steam expert estimated 60 sq ft. on this single rad. Since you have two it'd be safe to say you have ~100-120 sq ft. there.
    Here's a PDF that can help with estimates: https://smithfieldsupply.com/company_info/forms/radiatorest.pdf
  • NealJ
    NealJ Member Posts: 43
    Options

I have what look like very similar, if not the same, rad. There are no markings on it, but its supply / return connections are different than the Bundy Ed suggested.

A local steam expert estimated 60 sq ft. on this single rad. Since you have two it'd be safe to say you have ~100-120 sq ft. there.
    Here's a PDF that can help with estimates: https://smithfieldsupply.com/company_info/forms/radiatorest.pdf

Thanks so much for this! Of the 16 individual radiators in the basement ceiling, two of them are just like yours (only more segments). Not sure why two are different, it’s possible they were added later.

NYtimebomb