Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trane heat exchanger

Options

I've got a Trane XR90 Model: TUX1B060A9361AB, Serial: 6482RP37G, Manufacture Date: 11-06. It has a rust spot below the inducer. When the blower is on and I spray some soap on the rust spot it will make a bubble. Is this hole a problem? Can exhaust come out of it? Can I repair it by just gluing some sheet metal on the front? Can the pannel be replaced? Do I need to replace the entire furnace

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    It is most likley air from the indoor blower blowing out not combustion gas. Have your hvac tech test it with a sniffer to be sure. If it is room air and not combustion gas you can scrape the rust off and patch it with shhet metal and RTV silicone.

But you need to know where the rust is coming from. Is the inducer dripping water down there? Have him check all the condensate drains to make sure they are not plugged and draining
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Options
    is that picture shown true, or on its side?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,847
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I see another problem in this picture. There is a flexible connector or CSST penetrating the furnace cabinet. By code, you can only penetrate the metal cabinet with steel pipe. If the flexible tubing, which is very thin, ever gets knocked and comes in contact with the edge of the metal cabinet, The normal vibration of operating the furnace can result in chafing the plastic cover and the metal tube. If this occurs, a gas leak can develop over time.
    There is a condensation leak from the vent or one of the drain tubes that needs to be corrected. Original installer was lazy and dies not understand the code and was taught incorrectly There may be more incorrect items that should be corrected. Have someone that knows how to do this kind of work look at the job and make ALL the issues remediated

Edward Young Retired

If you make that expensive repair, and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• plumberdan38
    plumberdan38 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    You could put an insulator around the CSST tubing to make it code, couldn't you?
  • plumberdan38
    Options
    The picture is true. The furnace is installed on its side.
  • plumberdan38
    Options
    It seems to me the leak is happening on the other side of the sheet metal that I can't see. The lower black tube is taking condensate from the heat exchanger and directing it into the condensate trap. I don't know how it's collecting the condensate on the other side of the sheet metal but that seems to have failed. What do you guys think of that theory.