Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate neutralizer -

Options
gyrfalcon
gyrfalcon Member Posts: 162
Hi all,  I was in the boiler room at my work yesterday and noticed that the boiler condensation drain was dripping water as it should but…. I do not see a condensate neutralizer , there appears to be a y pipe/ trap apparatus at the bottom of boiler and drain attaches to it.  Boiler and building are from 2008/2009.  Do we need to be concerned at this point? 
Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 

Comments

• gyrfalcon
    Options

Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    I'm more concerned about the cabinet being eaten away with acidic condensate. Not having a condensate neutralizer is a concern for the sewage sys.
    mattmia2kcopp
  • gyrfalcon
    Options
    @HomerJSmith, yes! That too!!  I’ve pointed that out to management 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    Depends on what type of drain it is going to. If it is all pvc then it is ok, if it is cast iron it needs a neutralizer.
  • gyrfalcon
    Options
    Looks like pvc.  I’m not sure what it connects to beyond the building 
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hopefully not on a septic without a neutralizer...We have seen leach fields that were only a couple years old that needed to be redone due to the acidic propeties killing the Nitrobacters causing the laterals to become clooged.
    mattmia2kcoppgmcinneshot_rod
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    While it is probably diluted by the time it hits the public sewer, manholes and the base are concrete, the condensate really attacks concrete
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • gyrfalcon
    Options
    Thank you all for the insight 
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    The house may be PVC or ABS plumbing but the lateral to the street may be cast or Transite Portland and asbestos cement. Transite needs a neutralizer.