Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

White Rodgers zone valve questions

Tylercoleman5917
Tylercoleman5917 Member Posts: 3
edited January 2023 in Gas Heating
I just bought a home with a gas boiler with 3 zone valves. They are 1311-102 so they are a 3 wire power close/open valve. Meaning most thermostats are not compatible as they can't signal the valve to close. So, I bought a 2 wire 1361-102 valve and installed that on the my main floor valve. I was then able to use the 3rd wire which was eliminated and turn that into my c wire by connecting it to terminal 1 on the valve. After all this, I was able to install my new Nest thermostat and everything seemed to be working fine. EXCEPT... I don't think the valve is actually closing once it's reaching temp? What causes the valve to close on these 2 wire systems? Is it a slow close once it reaches temp. My home is 70 degrees with it only set to 60 overnight so I have something going on. I never heard the gears turning to close the valve when turning the tstat down/off. Any help/ideas is appreciated  

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Two wire zone valves spring closed when the power is removed. If you have 3 wire zone valves with a two wire thermostat you use a relay like a RIBu1C you use the NC contact to drive the valve closed when the thermostat satisfies.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited January 2023

Two wire zone valves spring closed when the power is removed. If you have 3 wire zone valves with a two wire thermostat you use a relay like a RIBu1C you use the NC contact to drive the valve closed when the thermostat satisfies.

Sounds like the OP purchased and installed the 2 wire head and Bob offered up the wiring diagram for that head. looks like there is a warp switch and a warp switch heater. I wonder how long it takes for the warp switch to cool down and close the contacts that close the valve after the thermostat is satisfied. It may take a minute or so.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Tylercoleman5917
    Thanks guys,  yes it's wired correctly as the diagram shows. The only thing I can think is that the 1361 head I got may be junk.. If I manually start to turn it slightly, the motor will kick on and close the valve the rest of the way, but it won't do it on its own when the thermostat reaches temp.
    It does however fire up and open the valve when the thermostat signals it too without issue. Maybe the spring or whatever is worn? It wasn't actually a brand new valve (was supposedly refurbished) which mightve meant they just slapped new O rings on and resold it. Anyway I'll find out in a few days I ordered a brand new one to try. If anyone has any other ideas or maybe how I could troubleshoot and verify that it's a faulty unit I'd appreicate it
  • hot_rod
    Those WR valves power open and power close. There is no spring return. With the thermostat set low, manually turn the wheel open a bit.
    It should power open and back to close, making a complete revolution.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Sounds like the warp switch contacts are not making. Those contacts are normally closed (NC). On a call for heat the motor opens and connects to the holding circuit "arch". At full open the warp switch heater causes the closing contacts to open. when the call for heat is satisfied the warp switch should go the the NC position and start the motor closing operation. If the warp switch does not completely close, the valve will stay open until the switch closes or you manually start the motor. Hopefully the replacement motor will operate properly.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    Or the small heater that “warps” the switch. The diagram I linked above shows what goes on inside the valve with the heater and switch.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    You might wire the valve directly to a 24v power source, the transformer. To be sure it is not the t-stat or wiring snafu
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Tylercoleman5917
    Just realized I never gave an update. It was just a bad 1361 head i'd installed. I put the new one on and wired it up the same and its working great. Thanks guys.
    EdTheHeaterMan