Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding bedrooms where Radiant ceiling is

Options
Hello everyone I’m in the start of remodeling our basement in a 1972 home that has radiant ceiling heat I. The basement and on the main floor, my wife and kids love it compared to our old house that had central HVAC because there was no moving air just heat. I was wanting to add 2 bedrooms downstairs but one of the walls will cross a heating panel that’s in the ceiling 4in wide and 5ft long, will that cause trouble with the panel because of heat/fire possibilities

Comments

• PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Potentially. What type of radiant heating do you have, electric or water?   Do you have a drawing which shows the routing of the lines?
  • leewalter
    leewalter Member Posts: 8
    Options
    It’s electric 220, the top of the drywall says National Gypsum Company and the grid is built into the drywall with nail markes and the areas to not screw into printed onto the drywall. 
  • PC7060
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Key thing is to avoid nailing into a line. Other that that worst case is reduces or uneven heat between room. Can you post a picture / diagram of the heating areas and planned wall layout? 
  • leewalter
    Options

• PC7060
    Options
    Shots from further back would be helpful. Along with a room layout. 
  • leewalter
    Options

• leewalter
    Options
    I’ve got an inferred camera and can see the heating grids in the drywall plus the drywall after the popcorn is scrapped off shows the factory nail prints on it there are two panels that cross where I would like to add a wall,black are the panels and red is where I would like to add a wall. 
  • leewalter
    Options
    The wall layout is dependent on if we can put a wall across the radiant panels, there is supports on both sides even if we could not tie into the floor joist and “float” that section across the panels but I was wondering about heat buildup and or transfer to the wall structure that crosses the panels 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Just a crazy idea....even off the wall you might say...get it?

Perhaps build your wall with double top plates.

Just leave the upper top plate out where the panels are.

You SR your wall up to the ceiling and mud tape as usual.

The missing top plate would not cover any panel and prevent potential overheating and nail penetrations.
  • leewalter
    Options
    That was a thought but I was wondering about creating a heat pocket inside that area
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    You would have a 1 1/2" air gap and the wall SR would transfer the heat????

Just IMO.
    PC7060
  • leewalter
    Options
    Thank you
  • PC7060
    Options
    I’d install large nail protection plates under the sections where the wall intersects the heating elements.