Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello 40 Propane Burner

ScottMcNab
ScottMcNab Member Posts: 50
Hi
I went I start my boiler for the cold snap and my Riello 40 propane burner won’t fire. Motor comes on goes through startup and the igniter sparks but then locks out without firing. Could it be air in the propane line as the last time it was fired was 10 months ago and I turned the propane valve off to the burner at that point. My propane tanks are right full and have never had an issue in the past as the burner is 6 years old. Appreciate any feedback as I need it going. 
Thanks 

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,702
    Probably need to put a gauge on the burner and check incoming pressure  and pressure when it attempts to fire off. Might be best left to an Lp technician
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • ScottMcNab
    I’m having a propane technician come Monday but they only check the pressure regulator outside as they own the tanks. I’ll have to get a technician in for the burner if the propane tanks outside turn out to be fine
  • ScottMcNab
    Anything I can try in the meantime? Maybe purge the propane line etc. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,987
    You can purge the propane line.

But you need to be extremely careful. Propane is heavier than air so if you purge in the house it will stay in the house a while. You don't want explosions or fire.

Best bet is to disconnect the propane line and hook a garden hose to it and run it outside the house well away from anything.

If your not familiar with how to do it wait for the tech

A licensed plumber in Massachusetts with 40 years' experience blew a house off its foundation and killed himself a few years ago. He was purging with a hose but had a leak at the connection indoors and it was ignited by a nearby water heater.