Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol switch failing. Replace, switch, unit or upgrade to vaporstat?

As title states, PSI is inconsistent (0-3.6), if I tap the housing it will cut off the boiler. 

I’m thinking of a vaporstat for better control. 

Thoughts?

Tnx. Tom in NJ

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    It would be good to know your definition of "better". The vaporstats are just as wildly off as the pressurtrol, so that aspect they are no better. The only possible advantage is a lower range, but one of the ones on mine would actually go above the top of it's range right out of the box. It's so off I had to ignore the scale, set it on the bench to the pressure I wanted then install it. After all that, my properly sized boiler never gets above a few ounces so none of them ever activate anyway. Which leads to my next comment...

For anyone that comes along to read this, the best solution overall is to have the boiler sized correctly when installed so these safety devices don't turn into operating controls.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,262
    It's probably set too low. Happens all the time when my guys get overly ambitious with turning it down. Raise the pressure so the bottom of the indicator is just touching the top of the 0.5 line.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Long Beach Ed