Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Could this be why cast iron radiator not heating?

Options
Dairon421
Dairon421 Member Posts: 80
I traced down the piping to the basement and I found that the supply  is on the radiator 90 (right side)and the return is the radiator valve(left side).  All the radiators are heating besides this one.I  purged out the air but my question is if the supply pipe and air purger on same side would it still be air trapped in radiator?  

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,917
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Did you get water to come out of that vent on the top right side of the radiator?

If you did. then the water is that high. all the way across.

Is the radiator valve open? In most cases the valve is on the supply side, but if the valve is open, it should make no difference. There are no arrows inside the pipes that tell the water which way to go. The water takes the path of least resistance. A closed valve or other blockage is what I might call resistance. The water will just go a different way.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Dairon421
  • Dairon421
    Options
    Did you get water to come out of that vent on the top right side of the radiator? If you did. then the water is that high. all the way across.
    Yeah water came out
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,917
    Options
    Then the water is all the way up there

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Dairon421
    Options
    Then the water is all the way up there
    Yeah kind of weird tho.  I thought maybe since the purger and supply was on the same side, water will fill up on that half of the radiator first and that will cause the water to come out but the other half of the radiator still have air. Only two cells get warm on the radiator 
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The radiator is open all across the top so doesn’t matter which side the bleed valve is located. 

As Ed said, the valve is typically on the supply side of the radiator but it doesn’t matter for standard valve. Some brand TRV will chatter if the  flow is reverse. Don’t ask me how I know.  :D
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    edited January 2023
    Options
    If only 2 tubes are heating you are getting some flow but not enough. i could be gravity flow in the runnout off the supply main rather than through the radiator (or from the return if the valve came apart and is blocking the inlet). which side is hot?
    Long Beach Ed