Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham furnace keeps heating after reaching temperature

Options
My Burnham gas heat furnace keeps heating after reaching the temperature on the thermostat. I recently installed a new Nest Thermostat and the furnace will inconsistently turn off when it reaches the set temperature. Sometimes it will shut off only to come back on later even though the temperature hasn't fallen below the target temperature. I tried another thermostat and it did the same thing. Any advice would be helpful!

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options
    If it is a Burnham it is a boiler not a furnace ! (Hot Water vs. Scorched air :D )
    Baseboard/Radiators or Radiant infloor heat ?
    How many Zones/Thermostats does this home have ?
    Could one of the other zones be calling while the nest isn't ?
    Is the waterheater a standalong or do you have a waterheater that is hooked up to the boiler ?
    If you have a "Side arm"/ Indirect fired waterheater it could be calling for hot water while the Nest is not !
    BTW.. The boiler ultimately is controlled by the Aquastatic Control on the boiler not a "Setpoint" of the Nest..
    Depending on your setup the Nest may or may not activate the Boiler/Circulating pump.
    Pictures of the equipment may help.
    Not a big fan of the Nest..

kcopp
  • EricPeterson
    EricPeterson Member Posts: 215
    Options
    What model of Burnham boiler do you have?
    I have a Burnham ES2, and the control for it is very simple - there are two terminals on the boiler that are connected to the thermostat.
    The boiler runs only when the thermostat closes the contact across these two terminals.
    The same principle should apply to other boiler models.
    Some pictures, and a wiring diagram would help.
    Did it work properly before the Nest?
    Does the Nest have any instructions for proper operation?

Eric Peterson
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    @Derheatmeister If you're willing to call it a "boiler" in a hot water system and not a furnace, I'm not sure what to say. That goes for everyone because it's certainly not a boiler but is a furnace by definition.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

@Derheatmeister If you're willing to call it a "boiler" in a hot water system and not a furnace, I'm not sure what to say. That goes for everyone because it's certainly not a boiler but is a furnace by definition.

Hmm ...In our area we call it a Boiler when it heats water which has Rads/Radiant floors or Baseboard as a heat distribution...We call it a furnace when it heats air and uses a duct to transport it..
    Can one use a boiler in a ducted system to heat the air ? :*
    How do the Steam experts feel when we call a steam boiler a furnace ?
    Why do poeple call outdoor wood burning Boilers a furnace?
    Manufacturers call water based heaters boilers and Air based heaters furnaces are they all wrong?
    Can you please clarify this? :/
    kcopp
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Hmm ...In our area we call it a Boiler when it heats water which has Rads/Radiant floors or Baseboard as a heat distribution...We call it a furnace when it heats air and uses a duct to transport it.. Can one use a boiler in a ducted system to heat the air ? :* How do the Steam experts feel when we call a steam boiler a furnace ? Why do poeple call outdoor wood burning Boilers a furnace? Manufacturers call water based heaters boilers and Air based heaters furnaces are they all wrong? Can you please clarify this? :/
    I cannot
    I know how the words are used.

But I also know there's no boiling involved with hot water unless it's a really bad day.  

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    @eastchesterref12

Thermostats try to anticipate temp rise and will shut the system down early.   It will then try again and run it longer. Etc 

Many on here have had nothing but trouble with the Nest but I believe a few like them.

Can you share some pictures of your boiler ski we can get a better idea of what we're working with?