Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Steam Heat venting

Options
klb
klb Member Posts: 1
The building (prewar, brooklyn, steam heat radiator setup) recently contracted a new boiler company.
With this change, when the steam-heat radiator vents/releases air, I have difficulty breathing and my air purifier suddenly says "severe air pollution". It's beyond the point of being coincidental and lessens with attepmts to "contain" it.
I'd like help answering the two below questions, there has already been a lot of advice received from other forums and books. There is a lot of steam and condensate released (pitch is towards the source valve and it's opened fully and release vent is correct type); both input and output valves were recently changed.

a) What could have possibly been added to the system or water that will be turned into steam? Any theories or usual maintenance practices would be useful.

b) Best way to test/capture a sample to have tested? Who would be able to analyze the condensate?

While I recognize there is an issue with the heat system, as a tenant my complaints are falling on deaf ears. My primary concern is identifying and stopping what's being released that's causing issues.

Added fact: Regular shower steam does not impact me or the air purifiers at all.

klb

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    The only thing that should come out of the vent on a radiator is air, it should close when steam hits it.

You mention the input and output valves have been replaced? If you have a 2 pipe system there shouldn't be a vent. There is an unusual 2 pipe air vent system that was around for a brief period, but we'd need a picture of the radiator to know what you have.

As far as what can turn into steam, well anything with a boiling point lower than water, but not many things come to mind that one would put in a boiler. Basically when the boiler steams, you get steam, which is purified water. For reference this is actually one way to purify water, boil it, collect the steam, condense the steam, and the water is purified for drinking.

I would suspect something external relating to any other work they did, before I suspected anything coming from the steam. And again, nothing should come out of that vent besides air, if steam or vapor is coming out the vent has failed and needs replaced.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Never heard of a problem as you describe being verified. Here in NYC it's a common complaint in housing court but I've never seen it used to any success.

An odor could be caused by oil in any new piping or valves being vaporized, but I've never seen that verified as harmful. It usually subsides after a couple of months.
  • TonKa
    TonKa Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2023
    Options
    FWIW, just a guess:

New plumbing & heating company +
    new plumbing & heating work/stuff =
    turn the pressuretrol down to where it should be +
    replace the failed vents caused by high pressure from the oversized boiler