Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

For your amusement - chatgpt session for boiler question.

Options
EricPeterson
EricPeterson Member Posts: 215
If you've not heard of it, chatgpt is an online AI (Artificial Intelligence) system that you can try out and ask questions of. I gave it a spin.
My takeaway is that only #2 is a viable answer. #1 and #3 concern protecting the boiler from overheating (which is NOT the question), and #4 is of minimal use.
In fact #1 and #3 don't even make any sense to me.
So I guess the machines are not quite ready yet to take over the world!
I am not advocating for this technology, but it's interesting to try new things.

Eric Peterson

Q: How do I protect my boiler from low temperature return water?

A: There are a few things you can do to protect your boiler from low temperature return water:
  1. Install a low temperature bypass system. This system allows a small amount of water to bypass the boiler when the return water temperature is too low. This can help prevent the boiler from overheating and potentially causing damage.
  2. Use a mixing valve. A mixing valve mixes hot water from the boiler with cold water to produce water at a more moderate temperature. This can help prevent the boiler from being subjected to extremely low temperature water.
  3. Install an aquastat. An aquastat is a device that measures the temperature of the water in the boiler. If the water temperature drops below a certain point, the aquastat will shut off the burner to prevent the boiler from overheating.
  4. Insulate the pipes. Insulating the pipes that carry the return water to the boiler can help keep the water at a more moderate temperature, which can help protect the boiler from low temperature water.
By following these steps, you can help protect your boiler from low temperature return water and ensure it operates efficiently and safely.

Comments

• johncharles
    johncharles Member Posts: 50
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Close, too bad it’s gibberish. But it’s just close enough to trick someone who doesn’t know what is what.

If the water temperature drops below a certain point, the aquastat will shut off the burner to prevent the boiler from overheating”

Okay 👌 if it’s too cold make it colder?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    Unfortunately, some one, hopefully not many will take these as gospel.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • johncharles
    johncharles Member Posts: 50
    Options
    I guess if it said “if the water temperature drops below a certain point, the aquastat will shut off the burner to prevent the boiler from condensing” 

That might be more accurate but still wouldn’t help the house heat up.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,573
    Options
    It should be the aqustat shuts of the circulator to protect the boiler--low limit not high limit