Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Control for Zone Valves and Zone Circulators

Options
Hey Guys,

Is there a manufacturer that makes a boiler control that can operate both zone valves and zone circulators?

Thanks,

Pat

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options
    Check with Tekmar/Watts.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Honeywell? But you may need to choose one or the other function.
    Caleffi can run 3 zone pumps under different conditions, attached to a zone valve call. Depends on what exactly you are trying to do.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options
    Zone valves also come in 110 Volt...Or you could use a transfromer on the 110 volt pump control. As Bob said, it depends on what your are trying to do..
  • PilotPat24
    PilotPat24 Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2023
    Options
    hot_rod said:

Honeywell? But you may need to choose one or the other function.
    Caleffi can run 3 zone pumps under different conditions, attached to a zone valve call. Depends on what exactly you are trying to do.

Thanks for the responses!

My plans for my hydronic heating system is as follows...

(1) Primary Look Circulator
    (1) Indirect DHW Circulator Pump
    (1) Circulator for a Cast Iron Radiator
    (1) Caleffi Fixed Point Manifold Mixing Station for (2) Radiant Zones. (This is where I am looking to use zone valves on the one Fixed Point Manifold Mixing Station rather than have a Fixed Point Manifold Mixing Station for each radiant zone.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks,

Pat
  • hot_rod
    Options
    What boiler are you using? Many boilers have the ability to run DHW, possibly the primary also. Zone valves or zone actuators? How many?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    edited January 2023
    Options

In this example I have 3 zone valves that operate zone 1 circulator, Zone 2 circulator can operate on a 4th thermostat and zone 6 can still be used for DHW priority. Essentially a 5 zone system can operate this way

If you need more than 5 zones then you will need more zone controls... So select a Zone valve control and a circulator control as needed.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• hot_rod
    Options

In this example I have 3 zone valves that operate zone 1 circulator, Zone 2 circulator can operate on a 4th thermostat and zone 6 can still be used for DHW priority. Essentially a 5 zone system can operate this way

If you need more than 5 zones then you will need more zone controls... So select a Zone valve control and a circulator control as needed.

Adding 3 more transformers to the box?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • PilotPat24
    PilotPat24 Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2023
    Options
    hot_rod said:

What boiler are you using? Many boilers have the ability to run DHW, possibly the primary also. Zone valves or zone actuators? How many?

It's an old Utica Gas Boiler. If I were to use the Caleffi Fixed Point Manifold Mixing Station, I guess it would be zone actuators. For the two zones, I will probably need 7 or 8 zone actuators depending on how many radiant loops I need to run.

I am probably better off just using (2) Caleffi Fixed Point Manifold Mixing Stations. One for each zone. It seems like I would be making the system more complicated then I would need by adding zone actuators and transformers in order to use (1) Caleffi Fixed Point Manifold Mixing Station for both zones.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Sometimes it is easiest to draw a pic of the piping and components, then match the controls. The Caleffi 6 zone box have 80Va of power, so you could run plenty of actuators.
    Actuators can be ganged together also. So multiple actuators on one thermostat if a room takes multiple loops.

You can join a zone valve relay with a zone pump relay with 3 small wires. So you can control pumps and zone valves easily.

Need to know how many thermostats and how many actuators to come up with a drawing.

A couple examples to show wiring and piping coming together under control.

A sketch of what you are planning, maybe? The Caleffi pump manifolds have hydraulic seps built in so you can either pump directly from the boiler, or run a loop out to both manifolds, which takes one more circ.

If so P1 wires to the boiler relay. P2 & 3 to a switch relay box, indirect on priority.

The zone manifolds would wire to a zone valve box. The two boxes communicate so indirect always has priority over any other call. Zone 1 of box 1 is alway the priority zone regardless of how many boxes you daisy chain.

So the most critical question, how many total zones, how man wall thermostats.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA