Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about RADiators

I have a general question about radiators, I currently have these types of old steam rads,

and googling around i found there is another type of rad out there which looks sophisticatedly built with more metal mass and more surface area ( to disspate heat). the ones I am talking about are

Can someone kindly break down the differences and pros/cons for these 2 rad types. appreciate the knowledge sharing.

Comments

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    edited January 2023
    The Sunrad type radiator you posted is being viewed from the back. The front has louvers and there are channels running from vents in the front to the airspace at the base. They heat mainly by convection as cool air enters from the floor and rises through internal channels to be heated. The heated air is expelled through the front louvers.

They were designed in the 1930s or 40s as a stylish improvement to standing column radiators. Usually recessed into walls, they save floor space. They were made mostly by Burnham, which still makes them in the USA and China, and have since been knocked off and manufactured by a number of import companies as well. Other US foundries offered similar models in the days of steam as well.

They can be made in different lengths and outputs by stacking sections, similar to standing radiators and are joined top and bottom with slip nipples. Virtually all have tappings for steam or hot water heat.

Sizing charts are readily available showing the heating ouput for comparison with other types of radiation.

The use of different designs of radiators on the same system is frowned upon due to the different heat loss characteristics, but Sunrads have often been used quite successfully in systems with standing radiators because of their similar large mass and residual heating output properties.
    PC7060
  • MaxGNaidu
    MaxGNaidu Member Posts: 15
    but between the 2 types, which ones are superior spec wise and performance wise.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    Look at the specifications and dimensions and choose the one that works for you. They both serve different needs. One is recessed, and one is free-standing. Many today choose the recessed type because they don't occupy floor space and look better.

But sitting a traditional type hunk of iron 2" off the wall heats more by radiation than convection and many users like that. A recessed radiator, however loses more of its heat into and through the wall. Generally it's personal preference.
  • SteamBoiler
    SteamBoiler Member Posts: 90
    edited January 2023
    All of my radiators are recessed in wall. Most have plaster in front of the body, with service drills on the bottom and hot air release grills on top. I also have a few Sunrad types, exposed, and the Sunrad types are much warmer and expel more hot air than the other ones.