Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Still go it: 3” drop header 😎

Options
Danny Scully
Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
edited December 2022 in Strictly Steam

I’m mostly an office man these days, but with 2 men out today I needed to step in…2-pipe air vent system getting some much needed love. New properly sized boiler with 3” drop header today. New properly sized Rad/main vents tomorrow, along with lots of skimming. The water heater is getting replaced too but that’s not as cool 🤣

PC7060JohnNYChrisJ

Comments

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    What? Your guys don't do two of these a day? Nice (hard) work, Danny.
    Danny Scully
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Great job, Danny. I wish I had a New Yorker dealer near me. I like them better than the Williamsons for budget sensitive installations.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Danny ScullyLong Beach Ed
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    @Danny Scully nice work!
    @JohnNY Off topic but got to ask. Why do you prefer the NYers over Williamson?
    Danny Scully
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options

@Danny Scully nice work!

It's basically comparing Burnham to Weil-McLain and, as an installer, there are significant differences. For the better part of two decades I was a Burnham installer nearly exclusively. Recently, I've got some problems with the company that seem to be unresolvable and I switched to Weil-McLain about 4-5 years ago. WM is a GREAT company and I'm happy to be working with them, but I do miss having the tappings that Burnham/US Boiler/New Yorker include in their heat exchangers that make installing aquastats, indirect water heaters, and hydronic loops an easy thing to do. Weil-McLain is no help with that stuff unless you get the optional tankless coil, which is a big expense. Another benefit of the Burnham is that the manual tells you to pipe everything with 2" out of the boiler. It's much cheaper than the 3" fittings required by Weil-McLain, even if it's just the starter 3" x 2-½" or 2" bushing.
    But then again, no one asks me for a Burnham product ever. If anyone asks for a specific brand of residential cast iron boiler it's *always* Weil-McLain. So, there is that.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 516
    Options
    Did you move the old old boiler off to side to be broken down later or is this a new location?
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @reggi, we moved the old boiler to the side for the time being. You can see the jacket of the boiler to the left in the picture. 
    reggi
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    edited December 2022
    Options
    JohnNY said:

@Danny Scully nice work!

It's basically comparing Burnham to Weil-McLain and, as an installer, there are significant differences. For the better part of two decades I was a Burnham installer nearly exclusively. Recently, I've got some problems with the company that seem to be unresolvable and I switched to Weil-McLain about 4-5 years ago. WM is a GREAT company and I'm happy to be working with them, but I do miss having the tappings that Burnham/US Boiler/New Yorker include in their heat exchangers that make installing aquastats, indirect water heaters, and hydronic loops an easy thing to do. Weil-McLain is no help with that stuff unless you get the optional tankless coil, which is a big expense. Another benefit of the Burnham is that the manual tells you to pipe everything with 2" out of the boiler. It's much cheaper than the 3" fittings required by Weil-McLain, even if it's just the starter 3" x 2-½" or 2" bushing.
    But then again, no one asks me for a Burnham product ever. If anyone asks for a specific brand of residential cast iron boiler it's *always* Weil-McLain. So, there is that.

I would've never bought a Burnham from you, but I've been told my bias is based on too small of a sample size and that they last just as good as any other brand.

I have no idea what to think anymore.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Long Beach Ed