Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can anyone identify this valve for me?

Options
rnn9
rnn9 Member Posts: 9
edited December 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
I have two radiators in my house that have this valve on it. The rest have a regular valve on one end and a pipe on the other end.  The two that have these valves are located at the end of the heating loops.

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hmm, I don’t know the specific model but it seems to be similar to honeywells unique valve. I’d bet the pipe on the right has a dip tube that goes into the radiator a few sections. 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    I believe the valves name is Victor. Victor T. Valve to be exact. I met him at the supply house in 1938.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060Long Beach Ed
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    Is this hot water or steam?
  • rnn9
    Options
    Hot water.  I put a new close up picture.  Still can't make out who the manufacturer is.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    I have seen a picture of the inside of this valve somewhere. If I recall correctly the inside of it looks like this.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060
  • rnn9
    Options
    Any Idea why this type was used at the end of the heating loops instead of the two pipes that were used on all of the other radiators?
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Probably as simple as something in the way of piping to the other end, or maybe the installer just had those valves on the truck.

Are you having trouble with them?

Bburd
    PC7060
  • rnn9
    edited December 2022
    Options
    One radiator doesn't get that hot compared to the others, but that may just be because it's at the end of the loop. It also is on a Navien combi boiler that is not always heating the water up to the temperatures it was originally designed for.  For example, today the water temperature out of the boiler is 135 degrees and it's 27 degrees outside. The old boiler was always at 160 - 180 degrees no matter what temp it was outside.
  • bburd
    Options
    That sounds like a flow balancing issue. If you have a multi speed circulator, you might try setting it higher if possible. 

Bburd
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @rnn9
    if your water temp is only 135 it's probably something else in the system besides the radiator
  • rnn9
    Options
    Navien is adjusting the custom heating curve based on what it was programmed to using the outdoor temp sensor.  It keeps the house at 72 degrees and is working quite efficiently.  Even when we were down to 5 degrees the last two days.  On those days I'm sure the water temperature was near it's max at 160 degrees.
  • rnn9
    Options
    This radiator is in the coldest part of the house and has two large single pane windows from 1911.  So maybe the 180 degree temp just was able to mask the drafts better than the low temp.  It must also have to do with it being at the end of the loop.  
  • rnn9
    Options
    Bburd.  I have a three speed circulator on the system.  Increasing the speed does get that radiator to a higher temperature, but it also decreases the delta T which I assume will decrease the overall efficiency of the boiler. IDK It just might be something I'll have to live with.  Would this type of valvw have anything to do with the temperature difference?
  • bburd
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I don’t believe that valve has anything to do with it, so long as it is fully open and not broken internally, so as to obstruct the flow. That radiator is probably a bit small for the load in the room, and its location at the end of the system is compounding the problem.

You might try reducing flow to some of the radiators in the warmer parts of the house, to send more flow to the cold room.

If it were my place, I’d raise the circulator speed. You may sacrifice just a bit in efficiency, but it’s probably a worthwhile tradeoff for a comfortable house. 

Bburd
  • rnn9
    Options
    I'll try that.  Maybe just increase the speed when it's very cold out.
  • SlowYourRoll
    SlowYourRoll Member Posts: 187
    Options
    why don't you do a rubbing with pencil and paper to see if you get a clearer look at the manufacturer.
    rnn9
  • rnn9
    edited December 2022
    Options

This is what I got from that.
    SlowYourRoll
  • SlowYourRoll
    SlowYourRoll Member Posts: 187
    Options
    rnn9 said:

This is what I got from that.
    well so much for that idea
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Use the side of a sharp #2 pencil; try to lightly shade over the entire name plus 1/2” all sides.