Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What do you guys think about next time adding a valve on the main feed?

Options

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Are you referring to a king valve? 
  • cunninghamzach
    cunninghamzach Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Are you referring to a king valve? 
    Yes
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Depends upon who pays for it.
    That looks like a 3" riser?
    Price a valve, that size, rated for steam.

Maybe a valve for each steam main would be less.

Why do you want one?
    Long Beach Ed
  • cunninghamzach
    cunninghamzach Member Posts: 17
    Options
    JUGHNE said:
    Depends upon who pays for it. That looks like a 3" riser? Price a valve, that size, rated for steam. Maybe a valve for each steam main would be less. Why do you want 
    Costly but, more efficient blow downs  can shut the feed valve and return to isolate the block then build water pressure to clean it out through the drain 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,970
    edited December 2022
    Options
    As I always say, extra valves and clean outs are your friend in plumbing and heating. They never hurt and only help when you have future repairs and as a  diagnostic tool for troubleshooting and maintenance.  Some boiler codes REQUIRE them usually on larger btu commercial boilers.  I put two 2 1/2" Milwaukee (🇺🇸 USA 👶 baby!) Gate valves on my Antique Vapor System in my turn of the century (19th in to 20th-) Victorian Farmhouse.   I only use them once a year to blow down and steam-power flush the boiler, mud legs and low points, but you can't get the concentrated hydraulic steam ram - if you will- without them there.. it just doesn't do the same job. Mad 🐕 Dog
    cunninghamzachLong Beach Ed
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Price an American-made 3" steam gate valve. That will totally answer your question.