Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Remote hydronic manifolds

Options
I’m utilizing a Cross 8 zone manifold on a 6000 sq ft slab.  To keep my 1/2 loops to 300ft, I’m utilizing 8 remote manifolds fed by 3/4 in lines from the Cross zoning system.   Is this advisable?   

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    There is no reason that the manifolds have to be near the boiler. They can be remote and on commercial jobs frequently are. As long as the piping to feed the manifolds is the correct size and with the right circulators your fine
  • davidtennessee
    davidtennessee Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Should I run the feed lines to the manifolds under the slab, or over the top? I’m guessing that I’d reduce length, and heat loss by running it all in slab. 
  • davidtennessee
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Also due to having only electric, we will be heating with 2 150 gallon commercial hot water tanks. 
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,909
    Options
    No reason why not, but with 6000 sq ft I'd be a little hesitant to say the manifold tube itself would have enough capacity to carry that many BTU.
  • davidtennessee
    Options
    The longest feed line to a manifold is less than 50 ft 
  • davidtennessee
    Options
    Should I insulate the feed lines to the manifolds? 
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Manifold piping underneath the slab should be insulated with 3/4" wall neoprene. If the manifold has more than 4 ports, it should be piped in 3/4"
  • davidtennessee
    Options
    Thanks Paul.   There is very little information on running remote manifolds.  Trying to run 24 lines into my utility room seemed a little crazy.  I figured I’d use access panels throughout the house to the zone manifolds. 
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Most radiant courses teach how to do this. It's the first thing I look at when designing a system...where to put the manifolds in a central location to minimize loop lenghts. Closets work best.
    davidtennessee
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    What is the load on that 6000, slab? At 22 btu/ sq ft the load would be 132,000 btu/ hr

If you are going with Pex, consider 1” or larger.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • davidtennessee
    Options
    I apologize, the slab is 4300 on the first floor. All 10ft ceilings except for the garage at 18.  

A single upstairs bedroom that will be on a separate HVAC system.  

Putting remotes in closets and other hidden locations.   
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    3/4 Pex is good for 4 gpm.  you might be wise to use 1” for a 94,000 or so load
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream