Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

De Detrich Boilers

Options
BDR529
BDR529 Member Posts: 286
Are they available in the US?

Comments

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    They were resold private-label under various brand names for years, IIRC. Not sure if anyone sells them now. Ditto Biaxi and a few other EU brands.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    Never heard of them. Can't be any better than Viessman, right?  Mad Dog
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    No, they sold under their own name for a while and then Slant Fin sold as Eutectic
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Oh. Thanks Robert and Merry Christmas 🎅 🎄 Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Haven't installed or followed Buderus in a few years.  Whats up with them?  I remember when Bosch Bought them. How has that worked out? Mad Dog
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Haven't installed or followed Buderus in a few years.  Whats up with them?  I remember when Bosch Bought them. How has that worked out? Mad Dog

Still hanging in there, discontinued GB142 and replaced with Bosch Greenstar. They moved heavily into HVAC, particularly heat pumps. Most of the focus is there
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Atlanta AHRI show suggested a lot of private-labeling going on throughout industry. For example, BSH had a appliance prominently on display (HRV?) whose exterior was 100% similar other than color and logo from a Polish company two booths over.

No different with other companies, Viessmann private-labeled Thermomax solar collectors (aka VitoSol 300) and their Stirling Engine heating systems (never sold over here). Sometimes circumstances also bring two entities together, see FreeWatt sourcing the Honda micro generators and ECR boilers and combining them into the awesome FreeWatt MicroCHP system. I would have bought one, if they had let me buy just the Honda (I already had a great boiler).

In the appliance field I remember Amana being the sole supplier of bottom-freezer fridges in the US around 1998 - also making private label versions for Whirlpool and GE at the time. At Sears the three sat side by side and it was clear that the shell was 100% the same between the three of them. I ended up buying the Whirlpool version because I liked their shelves better.

Private-labeling makes perfect sense for market entry or line extensions as developing, testing, and marketing a new boiler line is very expensive (remember the Burnham / Opus O1 and G1?). Private-labeling a line extension allows an OEM to test the market, see if there is acceptance / demand and then decide whether its worth it to go through all the trouble of coming up with their own product.

Sometimes, you also run into OEMs who can private label a product for less money than making them in-house. Some name brands that used to make their own stuff now only exist as private-label entities. Some may have always solely existed as private-label entities (Kirkland @ Costco, Kenmore @ Sears, and so on).
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 286
    Options
    The rebranded De Detrich under Slant/Fin Eutectic was my go to for direct vent. Thought someone else might have picked it up.