Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pilot light on boiler

Options
Joeh1223
Joeh1223 Member Posts: 9
Should I be able to hear the piolt light flame when I’m on the floor close to with , the boiler door open?
Should it be completely silent ?

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    Couple of things i can add. my ears are not the best so i can only tell you from my point of view. Depends really on the age of the boiler. older boilers tended to have larger pilots so you could easily hear the pilot provided it was clean. As the boilers became more efficient pilots became a little smaller. little more harder on the ears but ill bet that most techs can hear the smaller ones.
    Joeh1223
  • gyrfalcon
    gyrfalcon Member Posts: 162
    Options
    My boiler pilot is definitely louder than my hot water heater and cook stove pilot lights. 
    Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
  • gyrfalcon
    gyrfalcon Member Posts: 162
    Options
    What does the flame look like? 
    Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    it depends.
  • Joeh1223
    Joeh1223 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    @gyrfalcon the flame was a little yellow and weak but and a little more silent, I cleaned it out with compressed air now it’s blue stronger and louder , it’s a crown from 2007 I did try the piolt adjust because it’s all the way up, but even adjuststed then noise is the same, and the flame is where it should be all the way up so I keep it there .