Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Turning down aquastat during prolonged absence

Options
Hi, I'm traveling a bit this winter and would like to turn down the aquastat on my oil burner (forced hot water baseboards).

Is there a setting below which the circulators will not run when the thermostat calls for heat? Which it will do though set to 45°.

I just want to (1) conserve heating oil while (2) not having the pipes freeze.

Thanks!

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    Options
    Depends.

Does your boiler maintain temperature for a domestic hot water coil?

easier question for same information:

What is the part number of the aquastat?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited December 2022
    Options
    If you have a model L8124 triple aquastat, then you should take a picture of the current settings. You must set the high limit 20° above the low limit or you could get a condition where the burner will run to heat the house but the circulator pump might be off for DHW priority.

This can happen even if the DHW pipes are disconnected. The pipes and the wires don't talk to each other. If the pipes were disconnected and reconnected to aa separate water heater... and no body told the wires... then the wires are still making hot water that you can't use

But that is getting off the subject especially if you never had a DHW coil in your oil fired boiler. Just an old fart rambling

If you have the L8148 aquastat control then just lower it to 160° and you should be fine

If you have the L8124 aquastat, then set the LO to 120° and the HI to 160° and you should be fine.

@aauster Did any of this information help? Can you post the model number of your aquastat.
    Are you even interested in this information?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options
    i would advice not to reduce the Temperature on your aquastat to the point of condensing your equipment..
    Save a penny now pay more later..
    Also if you reduce your temperature to 45F and you have a prolonged power failure you home could freeze quicker vs a home that is at 55F
    kcoppSuperTech
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    why n why not just turn the thermostat do to 50?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SuperTechDerheatmeister
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    I agree w/ Derheatmeister... leave the temp at 55F. Furthermore, turn off the water main to the house, Dont drain it. Your system will not use much water.
    Lastly open up all the cabinets doors (especially the ones on the outside walls) let heat get to those pipes.
    If your burner goes on reset at least you wont have a waterfall running for days on end.
    I would also have someone checking in Weekly to see if all is ok.
    MikeAmann
  • aauster
    aauster Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all. The suggestion to shut of the water is one of those common-sense things I did not even think of.

The aquastat is of type L8124L. It has a low, hi, and diff setting. Yes there is a domestic-hot-water coil, but not much demand for it while I'm away!
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I believe that @aauster may have a tankless coil for DHW and I see no reason to maintain 160° boiler temperature just in case someone wants to take a shower, while there is no one home.

I believe it is a cost effective adjustment to lower the boiler temperature from 160° to the minimum of 120° and that will save on fuel cost while still having the ability to heat the home to 55° or 50° or 45°. Just lowering the room temperature will not reduce the DHW operating temperature. Setting the LOW to 120° will

Edward Young Retired

• aauster
    aauster Member Posts: 3
    Options
    @Ed, thanks!
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options

I believe that @aauster may have a tankless coil for DHW and I see no reason to maintain 160° boiler temperature just in case someone wants to take a shower, while there is no one home.

I believe it is a cost effective adjustment to lower the boiler temperature from 160° to the minimum of 120° and that will save on fuel cost while still having the ability to heat the home to 55° or 50° or 45°. Just lowering the room temperature will not reduce the DHW operating temperature. Setting the LOW to 120° will

On none Condensing equipment ? :#
  • exqheat
    exqheat Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Penny wise pound foolish. Indoor reset will maintain lowest boiler temps, but respond to thermostat demand to raise for comfort and safety while you are away. With the recent freeze, gambling with low boiler temps may not replace the heat loss of a deep freeze.
    In your case it will depend where you live. In Maine you will need 180+ depending on radiation available. Test those adjustments while you are at home. Get a good feel as to what you need in a freeze warning while your away. Get a wifi thermostat so you can monitor house and call for help locally if the system temps are not maintaining thermostat setting. Some one can go in and raise the aquastat to 180.
    John Cockerill Exquisite Heat www.exqheat.com Precisions boiler control from indoor reset.