Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar Install- Gravity Feed settings

Options
Reynz_2
Reynz_2 Member Posts: 98
Should the circulator be set at it slowest setting on an original gravity feed system?   I've been told the new circulator will have 3 settings, low, med, high.  I'm thinking that with a original gravity feed piping with iron baseboard that I should set it at low, rather than med or high?  Certainly I plan on settings that require it to run as long as possible and avoid short running, just interested in circulator settings.  From what I have learned before, it is better to have water move rather slowly through the baseboards rather than speed through.   Where is Floyd when you need him?  Lol

Comments

• Reynz_2
    Reynz_2 Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Nevermind- what a topic, seems it never goes away.   No response needed on this one!  Lol
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,855
    Options
    "No reply needed" sounds like what I got for my son-in-law for his birthday.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @Reynz_2

You may need to experiment to get the house to heat evenly. Does the house have a boiler with gravity circulation now or is it pumped?
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Im running a converted gravity system in a single loop with TRV on all radiators. Ive set the Alpha2 circulator on constant speed level 1. Moves 7-8 gallon minute which matches up closely to the boiler rating of 80KBTU. The circulator consumes 8 watts power at that setting, amazingly efficient. 

I’ve got the ODR curve pretty well dialed in, boiler routinely runs for 7-8 hours after coming off 2 degree setback at 5am.   Takes about 1.5 hours to get inside room temperature to 71F from 69F but then keeps running for hours. My temperature curve is set to 86F SWT @ 68F outside temp up to 116F SWT @ 0F outside temps. The 3100SFT house  is over radiated with 17 radiators on top two floors plus two in basement shops. 
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I'm not sure which Lochinvar boiler is being talked about, but with their condensing boilers they supply a 0-10 VDC pump to be used as the boiler pump which responds to a sensor attached to the mixed secondary piping. The secondary pump is supplied by the installer.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    PC7060
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    I'd worry more about trying to dial the reset curve in. There is usually a setting to limit the dh firing rate too, might want to dial that down to make it come up to setpoint slowly instead of firing full and hitting setpoint quickly and shutting down on high limit
    PC7060Alan (California Radiant) Forbes