Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain to Lochinvar

Reynz_2
Reynz_2 Member Posts: 98
edited December 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
What a journey.   Looking back at my posts in Nov 2003 about my new Weil McLain Ultra 155 and the challenges i was having.  I think I've earned a degree in boilers from all I've learned- later added an indirect DHW tank and things went well for several years until a technician's error.  He didn't tighten all the bolts in front of the heat exchanger and melted a vertical line out the side of the case.  Yes amazing.  No, the company didn't take responsibility- and after sever years with them- a multitude of referrals and even a youtube video, ended my relationship.  Well, looking back, the boiler did last 18 years- so I'm lucky.  Today getting a Lochinvar Combi installed- I mean now- as I type.  So, my question, will the Lochinvar be as easy to "adjust" if I need to?  My philosophy has been, if I buy it, I should learn to use it.  Reading about the Combi boilers is like reading about the best handgun or truck to buy.  They are likely all good, some just have their preference.   I did like this company I'm using as they provided 10 year parts and labor warranty with competitive price.  At least I feel good about the price.  I look forward to an interesting discussion if you care to respond.   Is Floyd still around?

Comments

• nosirra1Arrison
    nosirra1Arrison Member Posts: 57

The Lochinvar is highly adjustable. I followed a similar path (Ultra 80 to Knight 085). Difference is I have used indirect on both. There are two levels of access. User and installer. Outdoor Reset and Ramp Delay will be your most important features to research and adjust.
    rick in Alaska
  • Reynz_2
    Reynz_2 Member Posts: 98
    Looks great.  Know what they say, if it looks good, it is good.  My only concern with boilers has been the previous gravity system I had.    Uses much bigger pipes to distribute the water, and I want to ensure it uses as little temp as possible to keep the home warm.  Thanks for the advice.   I'll post pictures of my new boiler as soon as it is finished. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,700
    Spend some time at 
    https://www.lochinvaru.us/pages/boilerroom.html
    use the simulator to learn the control

combustion analysis and burner adjustment requires some special tools and knowledge 

water quantity! Be sure the water is below 7 GPG, ph above 7. Check the water conductivity for a baseline, check yearly to catch issues before they turn into bigger problems
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream