Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does anyone know what brand and how to access the vent on these steam recessed radiators??

So initially I thought these had no vent on them, but the vent is actually on the inside behind the slats towards the end!! I have no idea how I am suppose to access the vents? Thankfully they are working well but they have to be super old! My house is 96 year old English Tudor in NJ.

Most of the recessed radiators on the 1st floor are like this!

Has anyone seen these or know what brand they are? I am guessing original to the house

Comments

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 873
    edited December 2022
    Don't have the Holohan book; "Every Darn Radiator," at my fingertips but I believe they may be Weil McLain brand units.  There should be a hidden window that is about four inches high and four inches wide in front of the vent.  Looks like it may be on the right hand side, about six inches from the too?

On second thought,  I think there's two windows,  one on the left and one on the right.  There's a hidden hinge if memory serves. 
    Long Beach EdPC7060
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,983
    half encrusted in paint. the entire cover comes off somehow for access to the entire convector. If you remodel the rooms the cover should be removed, and the convector cleaned and vacuumed out
  • Chris_108
    Chris_108 Member Posts: 22
    HOLY COW! You guys are right!! I do see what appears to be a screw (encrusted in paint) sort of like a mini door like Scott was talking about in front of where vent is! These poor vents has been in jail for God knows how long and I don't have they key to release them! Seems almost impossible to get this secret door open with the amount of paint on them. I could never get that flat head screw to turn let alone get a screw driver in that slot! Thankfully these radiators heat up well it's the 2nd floor radiators that have trouble getting hot but these have the vents on the outside.
    Long Beach EdCLamb
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    edited December 2022
    Believe it or not, where there is a will there is a way. I wouldn't mess with then now, but when I need to get at these we grind away the paint with a drill-mounted wire brush, soak the screws for a few days with a penetration oil (we use Kroil), punching the screw daily with a punch and hammer. When we feel it's ready, we use a manual impact screw driver that turns when struck with a mallet. Never had one that didn't come out. Beautifully cast and machined American iron.
  • Chris_108
    Chris_108 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks Ed!! Appreciate the guidance. Will probably be a summer project to take on.

Thx again!!
  • You can see the vent in your photo:

New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    CLamb
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    If the vents aren't letting out steam and you're not adding lots of water weekly in the winter, they are probably fine and can be left alone.
  • Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 197
    Ain't paint wonderful!!!
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,351
    Yes, Scott. I think they are made by WM or Burnham "Soleray" I think?  I remember being puzzled the first time I ran in to one.  Mad 🐕 Dog
  • Isoceles1
    Isoceles1 Member Posts: 1
    Had a run in with these in CT. The grills swing down, there is a hinge pin on each end of the grill, and the Brackets you see on each side, have a receiver for the pin. They are mounted to the body of the radiator by that screw you see on the top of the bracket, there is a nut on the other side, and the screw and nut slide into a forked slot behind the bracket, and simply turning the screw head sets the nut and the bracket in place. There is finger clasp mounted on the grill, and a post molded into the bracket to keep the grill upright and in place. The trick is to pull on the top of the grill outward, and it should swing down, paint allowing. Then loosen the screw on one side so you can shift the top of the bracket toward the opening where the grill was, it will slide out of the forked anchor and release. Then simply wiggle the bracket till it slides off of the grill. I had to figure this out to get the hardwood floors refinished, and needed to remove the grills. Someone ahead of me, probably the previous homeowner, must have tried to remove the grills and broke the brackets on five of them. So as much as I know about these treasures, and I do like them, I don't know where to get replacement brackets. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.