Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mcdonell 101 a cartridge

Options
homers
homers Member Posts: 11
Spent over 200 bucks on the stupid thing and i cant figure it out for the life of me.  There is no place for that to slide into or does that bushing piece have to come out?  I didnt take it apart so i have no idea what old one even looked like. The protruded piece inside isnt the same diameter as any part of the old one.   Anyone have any idears??

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    There should be a strainer that comes with the cartridge. I have never replaced one of these but I did find the cartridge replacement instructions from one of my vendors attached
  • homers
    Options
    Yes i have the strainer as well. The cartridge is too long to fit without sliding in however it is supposed to. I hadnt used my boiler in about 6 years until last year and guy that cleaned it also tossed the strainer and cartridge because the back of the strainer was cracked. They didnt impress me so i never called them back and been manually filling the boiler. I had a thought that i could "not use" the cartridge and boy was i wrong, it doesnt shut off. So it obviously has to have it.  Im not a heating tech but not stupid either lol. 
  • homers
    Options
    Says in the manual to unscrew cartridge and replace but i have nothing for it to screw into 🤯🤯🤯🤬🤬🤬
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Looking in the M&M replacement catalog; the round port which looks like yours says "Pilot action style" (Built before august 1995).

The Hex port after august 1995, used the Cartridge style.

So if you have round ports, where the pipes screw into, then that is before 1995.
    M&M says to replace the complete control after 10 years.

Others here may comment that there are better water feeders than this, perhaps the VXT.

Or you can eliminate this and just fill manually when needed.
    GGross
  • JUGHNE
    edited December 2022
    Options
    M&M started putting date codes on their products after 1972....such as K09....would be October 1990.

If it were me, I would wash it up and return it.
    Whoever sold it should have asked about the round or hex ports.
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    @JUGHNE

I just love it when a manufacturer makes significant changes to a product and keeps the same model number.

Can you share that replacement catalog so I can add it to my toolbox?
  • JUGHNE
    edited December 2022
    Options
    The catalog is MM-701.....2001-2002 replacement parts catalog.
    A wise supplier told me I should keep all the paper catalogs, he was right.

They do have a note about the different configurations of the piping hubs.
    Also the LWCO/feeder 47 has the same situation.
    Although if this was a 25 year old LWCO it would be time for replacement.IMO
  • homers
    Options
    Yup round port, that being said what the frig parts do i need. The one i bought is the only one i can find. And THANK YOU for the insight. I noticed the new ones were hex but didn't know that made any difference at all 
  • homers
    Options
    That vxt is about the same price i paid for the strainer kit for this hunk of junk. Is that one decent as a replacement?  May just buy that, gotta go to home cheapo anyways later. Is there a difference in gas and oil?  I heat with oil 
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    I see a date code on that, it looks to be A39....Jan of 1993.

What LWCO activates this feeder?

Picture and model number showing please?
  • homers
    Options

• JUGHNE
    Options
    A 67, when you blow it down does it activate the water feeder and shut down the burner?

My guess is that it would work with that control.

Gordo of "All Steamed Up" would have the answer for you.
  • homers
    Options
    Yes when i blow it down below water shut off i can hear the feeder click on and shuts it down. Been adding water manually for the past 2 years. Which isnt a big deal but would be nice to not have to ya know. Thank you for the help 
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    How often do you have to add water?
    Some homeowners want to visit their boiler to check water level and prefer to add manually.

There are some bad stories of overfilling by auto water feeders.
  • homers
    Options
    Im not home often but i think she adds about once a week. It has a sight glass that add to half way up. Yeahhhhhh so i thought i could not use the cartridge and just use the screen, apparently it does SOMETHING because it over filled by A LOT. That was a couple months ago. So just add water manually. Its just a convenience thing, gets blown out once a week and add water then