Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it ok to run a taco circulator continuously?

ssweb
ssweb Member Posts: 3
I have a radiant heating system that has a Taco 00r-msf1-ifc circulator. I am having problems with the controller Taco SR 501. I want to by pass it and set 115 volts directly to the circulator. However that means it will run 24/7. Is that ok? 

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 1,009
    All circulators are able to run 24/7. They will last longer as the starting and stopping is what kills the motors. Unless there is a particular circulator that restricts this practice that i'm unaware of you are good to go.

My question is why??? You will pay more in electricity. Wouldn't correcting the fault be the way to go. This approach seems short-sighted
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    It won't hurt the circulator. But I would be concerned with overheating or overheating the system.
  • ssweb
    Thanks for the quick reply. 

Yes, fixing the issue is optimum. I have contacted Taco on the controller issue and am waiting further info. I (the wife) want to get heat in the rooms with the heat for the time being.  Thanks
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 566
    So yes, not a problem running by hardwiring the circ temporarily. The downside are the rooms overheating while the circ is still running.

However, the next question is "What issue are you having with the SR501? Was it always working and if yes, did anything change?

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • ssweb
    I have to be up at 3 am so going to sleep. I will post a seperate discussion tomorrow. Thanks all